This Page

has been moved to new address

Living Books for Thanksgiving

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Living Books for Thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Living Books for Thanksgiving

A favorite new books doubles as a decoration!  Love that.

A few weeks ago, I did a search for "living thanksgiving books"... and it was rough going (ok, so I don't know if those were my exact words).  I didn't want just any books this thanksgiving.  I'm trying to stay away from twaddle in general, but I'm really trying to build my library with living books!

Finally I came across one blog that had some great suggestions!  (And to think it's the mom of one of my favorite bloggers!)

So I took her list and I made my way to my local library's website to search and request to my hearts content! (I love doing this!!!)  They didn't have all of them... and what they did have was pretty well picked over already in the Thanksgiving category.  But strangely enough, many of the "living books" were left untouched.  Sad commentary I think... but at the same time, very good for me!!!

So here I share what we ended up with this year...

Thanksgiving (A FamilyLife Book): A Time to Remember
This is one my library didn't have, but I decided it was a must have for us, so I ordered it!  And we've really been enjoying it so far.  I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow.  We've been enjoying the music CD that comes with it too!!!  And in the back it has a place to record what we are thankful for from year to year!  How fun!

Margret Pumphrey's Pilgrim Stories
This one has to be my favorite... it's written in novel form (for children) about the actual people.  It's the same story as the first book mentioned, so there is some repetition, but we're reading both anyway.  I started reading this one to the children first.  When I picked it up from the library, I didn't know what to expect.  When I saw that it was a little novel, I commented to the librarian how excited I was to read it to the children.  She asked how old my kids were.  She looked at me like I was crazy when I told her 4 and 3.  I only smiled and explained that we are enjoying the Little House series now.  Again... same face!  Who knew a 3 and 4 year old could sit through real literature. ;)  I may try to pick this one up for our own library one of these days... it will be great for the kids to read themselves when they are older!

An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott
This one was a little harder for my littles to follow, but we pressed on and I think it will become a favorite over the years.  A sweet story of "old fashioned" children in charge of thanksgiving dinner all on their own.  Very sweet!

Three Young Pilgrims
This one tells the same story from the perspective of one of the families.  A brightly illustrated easy read... we did this one in one sitting (the others stretched over more than one for sure!)  I really enjoyed it myself, and there were lots of little facts we didn't even read this year... will be great for future years!

And don't forget the turkeys... we got Turkeys by Ben Hoare (wonderful pictures and explanation about the bird!  My 15 month old like to carry it around and look at the cover.) and a sweet little storybook called Sometimes it's Turkey- Sometimes it's Feathers that the kids especially love to read over and over!

 

I know their are more great books out there about Thanksgiving and the pilgrims, but this is what we used this year.  

 

What did you read this Thanksgiving???


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At November 29, 2011 at 12:35 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

Glad my mom could help you out. :-) I have such a hard time with Thanksgiving books, too! Christmas books are so much easier. I'm working on a list for my blog now (to publish next week probably) and I've already got a long, long list!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home