This Page

has been moved to new address

Weight Check... no, not me!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Weight Check... no, not me!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Weight Check... no, not me!


Have I mentioned our baby weight woes? I know I mentioned we were struggling a little in the beginning, but things have really gotten crazy! Since that last post, the spit up has increased and the weight was still lower than I imagined it should be. This forced me to good ole trusty Google in search of a cause and potential other problems. Google led me to KellyMom, a site in support of attachment parenting (which I am not), but which also has tons to say about breastfeeding! (Did anyone else just sense the sky opening up and hear the angels sing???) So for this week's Works for me Wednesday tip, I'm sharing what I found!

There is a lot of helpful info on that site, but the one that hit me best was the one that taught me about Oversupply and Forceful Letdown. I couldn't be sure that was our problem, but it sure sounded like us! The recommendation that stood out most to me was to work on decreasing my milk supply!

WHAT???

I know, I know... that's the opposite of what we are supposed to do. I was terrified! It would be so much easier for me if some "qualified" person were telling me to do this. Then it wouldn't be my fault if things went badly. I decided to take the plunge and try it, reducing feedings to only one side per feeding. Gasp... I was very scared! Turns out that over the next few days spitting up had decreased by quite a bit (not that she's stopped, mind you, but it's better). In addition to that, because I'm feeding on one side only each feeding, I am more sure she is getting the hind milk that is higher in calories!

I'm excited to say that she is up at 7 pounds, 14 ounces... that's 6 more ounces since Friday and 12 total ounces since the Monday before that!Praise the Lord...I think we're on our way!

It works for me!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I have been in love with Kellymom.net since my daughter was born 8+ months ago. The advice I got there and have seen them give others has always been research based as far as I can tell.

On another note, I'm surprised you think you are against attachment parenting. I've read a few things on your blog that I thought were AP. AP has a very broad definition, though some people will disagree.

 
At April 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

I'll have to share my philosophy sometime soon... it's really a combo of the two extremes. :)

 
At April 16, 2008 at 8:18 PM , Blogger IF said...

Hi there! Just wanted to share too, Izabella only took one breast at each feeding most of the nine months I breastfed. I would offer the other side and sometimes she would take it, but only sometimes. She normally just nursed a long time on the one side. If she did take the other side it was just for a minute or so at the most. I am praying for you!

 
At April 16, 2008 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Irene said...

Hey Girl...I am so sorry I didn't think to share with you before...with both of my kids and they were fabulous nursers I only nursed one side per feeding. It just seemed like they were done when the side was empty so I stopped. The only time I would do both was if I wanted to increase my supply and it did work. Elias is still nursing at almost 16 months and I still have milk doing it this way. I hope you figured it out, and besides, just doing one side per feeding was a ton easier:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home