This Page

has been moved to new address

From God's Word: A Mother's Study

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: From God's Word: A Mother's Study

Friday, July 11, 2008

From God's Word: A Mother's Study


As I spend time in God's Word, I am on the look out for parts of Scripture that direct me as a mother. I mentioned that I am seeking the Lord's direction through His Word in matters related to the discipline of my children, but really, I am open to His leading and direction in all matters. As I was reading in John today (and I'll admit that I am not as faithful as I would like to be in spending time in God's Word) I read a verse that stood out to me as a mother.

John 15:5 ~ "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."
Of course this verse applies to all of us, mothers or not, but this morning I want to look at it from a mother's perspective. "Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." This part of the verse really grabbed me. Of course I know and understand the concept of needing to be in God's Word, and I've spent my share of time dwelling and meditating on what it means to abide (dwell with, linger on, etc.) in Christ, but what a reminder that I desperately need this. It is both for my own good, and for my children's. "Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit...." Am I not striving to bear fruit in the lives of my children? How can I expect to raise children for Christ if I am not abiding in him. "...for apart from me you can do nothing." I will not be capable of doing anything in and for my children without Christ. My desire to be patient with them is impossible without abiding in Christ. My desire to discipline them in a Godly fashion is hopeless without abiding in Christ.

My desire is to be a godly Mother and to bear fruit through my children as they grow, to see them know the Lord and to abide in him themselves, but these things are not possible without my first abiding in Christ. What a reminder and challenge to remain in God's Word daily! Not only because I can accomplish more around the house, or even because I can grow closer to him. My desire is to serve him through bearing much fruit around me, specifically in the lives of my children. To do this I must be abiding in Him.

Six years ago I can remember a time when I clung to God's Word. I spent time every day (sometimes a lot of time) reading and memorizing Scripture. I was in Bolivia for the summer and it was a hard time for me. I was blessed to have the time to devote to being in the Word and I desperately needed it. I began each day in the Word and prayer, pulling from that time every ounce of strength for the day I could find. Some days I would return to my bed top to read and be strengthened more. I made the observation then that it is easier to devote so much time to being in God's Word in a ministry/missions atmosphere because we desperately need God for every moment. What an observation. It is so easy in our own culture and country to get comfortable and to think we can do it all without abiding in Christ. Not so with motherhood (or anything for that matter). While it is easy to think we have the ability to do things on our own, motherhood is hard and it is impossible to bear the fruit we desire to bear through motherhood without abiding in Christ!

I challenge you, as I am challenged today, to abide in Him. Spend time clinging to His Word and devoted in prayer each day. Perhaps it can only be 10 minutes, but cling to every precious verse you can. For without Him, we can do nothing!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM , Blogger Julie said...

"How can I expect to raise children for Christ if I am not abiding in him."
So true. Thanks for your post today! I needed that reminder.

 
At January 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a mom of two 15 & 16 yr. old girls. Lord help me I pray. I have also a 11 month boy. This word that you have sent is a much needed reminder of stay in GOD's WORD. The time just runs away with me. Well off to read his word. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home