This Page

has been moved to new address

Cell phones and Children

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Cell phones and Children

Friday, June 6, 2008

Cell phones and Children

My Beloved stumbled on this article last night and I asked him to save it for me so I could share it with all of you.

Maybe it's just us, but we have no plan to give our children cell phones. I think that if we are away from our children so often that they need a cell phone, perhaps we need to be rethinking who is raising our children. We may end up re-thinking this when we get there, but the most I can imagine doing is having a "family phone" that goes with a child (say to a theme park with friends when old enough to do so) in case of an emergency. Even I don't have a general use cell phone. The one I carry is pretty much emergency use only.

What are your thoughts? Those of you with older children (I'm not there yet, so you would have more wisdom than I)... have you found that your children need their own cell phones?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At June 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We have managed to hold out on having even a family cell phone. It's one of those "extra" expenses we just haven't seen the need for. Prairie Guy has a work cell phone that he sometimes has me carry if I am on the road alone in the dead of winter and it is blizzarding but then I am only to use it if I get in an accident and am freezing to death :P, needless to say, I've never used it.

Would it make things "easier", yeah, I guess. But pay phones are always handy when I need to double check something with him, or let him know I'm running late. Calling cards are much cheaper than cell phone bills.

I can see a possible family phone in the picture years from now *possibly*, but we'll keep holding out for now.

 
At June 6, 2008 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

It is a pet peeve of mine to see kids with cell phones! (I'm trying hard not to be judgemental! ) However, I don't think kids should be in a situation where they NEED a cell phone.

As far as our family goes, my hubby has a work cell phone because he works outside and that is how his customers, co-workers, and boss contact him. Plus, we don't have to pay the bill. I have a prepaid cell phone that I keep in my purse for emergencies, but not for pleasure!

 
At June 6, 2008 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Kacie said...

I think a family phone used while an older child is, say, at a theme park with another family, is reasonable.

But, a phone for a kid's everyday use? No way!

I got my first cell phone at 19. My parents still don't have a cell, even though they can afford it.

They don't think they need to be accessible when they're out and about, and I tend to agree.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home