This Page

has been moved to new address

How can something be unfortunate and wonderful at the same time?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: How can something be unfortunate and wonderful at the same time?

Saturday, May 31, 2008

How can something be unfortunate and wonderful at the same time?

It's a valid question... Tornado has been a finger sucker since he was little. It was so adorable and I loved that he didn't just suck his thumb like every other baby, but now it's difficult to get him to stop. We've decided to try to work on getting him to stop sucking those fingers now before he's 3 or 4 and it's even harder.

We've been so glad that Sweet Pea really likes her pacifier... figuring that even if it's traumatic for a few days when it's time for her to give it up next year (or so), that it will still be easier than giving up a thumb. The problem with this, though, comes 3-4 times every night when she wakes up and can't find it. I end up having to rollover, prop myself up to reach inside her bassinet (residing right next to the bed still because rolling over and propping myself up is way better than getting out of bed and walking to wherever in the middle of the night) and replace the missing pacifier. I have struggled to just let her cry it out like I know I should, because I know she's old enough to be sleeping through the night and she certainly doesn't need to eat if she just goes right back to sleep once the pacifier is replaced. But I do struggle, because she doesn't need me to pick her up, or rock her, or feed her... she just needs to suck to sooth herself back to sleep.

Well, this last week (Tuesday I believe), my little girl found her thumb! It's unfortunate for later, but oh so wonderful now! We are now officially "sleeping through the night"! She no longer wakes up (or wakes me up rather) crying 3-4 times a night. If she does wake up, she is quick to, get this, SELF SOOTH herself right back to sleep! :) **sigh** It's great! And last night she went a full 8 hours between feedings. I'da gotten 7 1/2 straight hours of sleep had I gone to bed when she did instead of watching We Are Marshall until 1 am because My Beloved isn't home and I just felt like it.

Now we just give her a few nights to see if this sleeping straight through is a fluke or the new thing... then we have to decide what to do with her. Don't tell My Beloved this is all happening... I've been saying for months now that she's in our room until she's sleeping through the night (so I don't have to get out of bed in the middle of the night to feed her). Now if she's sleeping through the night, its time for her to go. But where? I can't stick her in the living room. I like the idea of any night time intruders having to go by our room before getting to the children (yeah... My Beloved rolls his eyes [not outwardly of course] at that logic too). But I'm terrified of putting her in Tornado's room, the room they will one day [apparently very soon] share. Tornado is such a great sleeper, sleeping from 7 or 8 at night until 8 or 9 in the morning. I'm so afraid that when I go in to get a crying Sweet Pea at 6 to eat that he's going to get up too and my morning will be OVER!

Anyone have experience with this? Moving an infant in with a toddler? I'm SCARED!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At June 1, 2008 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

Pardon me while I give a little giggle at your situation...because I SOOOO know what you are going through. And, my dear friend, there is nothing you can do about the most logical solution of finally having your dear ones share a room together. It is an eventuality all of us toddler&baby moms face. I promise it is only a phase. I promise you will learn how to be as stealthy as any soldier. You will learn the exact time you need to get her so that you can be in and out in a flash without your DS knowing. And you will also learn to let DS realize it's not time for HIM to get up even though sister is up. Parenting is all about transitions...have fun with this one! :-P Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but the truth is the truth! :-)

 
At June 2, 2008 at 1:27 AM , Blogger Irene said...

Well said Proverbs 4:18! Both my children have been sharing a room for quite some time now and Julia is a very sound sleeper. Elias is not, he is 17 months old and is STILL not sleeping through the night. But guess who does sleep through the night? Julia, right through the crying, calling for mama and yes, sometimes screaming. Sometimes they wake one another in the morning but you learn to remove loud child quickly and the kids adjust. We also use a fan for white noise. Once Julia threw-up and Elias slept through the light on and noisy cleanup...an act of God. Which reminds me, God can enable the kids, and you, to do whatever you need to do. Love you!

 
At July 26, 2008 at 9:38 PM , Blogger mbmom said...

Hi

Three thoughts from a mom of 3:
1-breastfed babies should not be given pacifiers anyhow..mom's breast is much more soothing and always available:)
2-breastfed babies should be encouraged to nurse during the night..try co-sleeping..she'll end up wanting her own room by first grade, no matter what :)
3-infancy and toddlerhood go by very quickly...don't worry about spoiling, schedules or rules...try reading the "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" (LaLeche League) for thoughts on listening to baby and baby led feeding

best,
momof3

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home