This Page

has been moved to new address

Read Alouds above "grade level"

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Read Alouds above "grade level"

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Read Alouds above "grade level"

For a long while now we've been reading chapter books... This past winter/spring we read through the Little House books for the first time.  Now, we're reading them again.  He's almost 5.  He's catching much more this time, and Sweet Pea is enjoying listening to them more this time around. 

Just this past week I'm seeing true evidence of what reading "above grade level" can do for our children...

Monday, we were at work with Daddy.  After going further down the hall to look around without me Tornado informed us that he "journeyed further on without us" to look around.  I could only smile.

Last night, while I was learning how to use my new sewing machine (so cool by the way), Daddy took the kids to Home Depot to shop for a few things (Snow shovels was not one of them, but evidently the entire town was there for those too!)  When they picked me up later, Tornado told me the woes of the "car-carts" being wet in the parking lot, but that there was one "under shelter", so it was dry.

"Under shelter?"  I never talk like that.  That came straight out of those books!

We're reading these books again, because I didn't really have a good chapter book to read when we finished the last one.  And I hate not having one going. 


What "above grade level" chapter books do you read with your kids?  Have you noticed any words and phrases coming out of those little mouths because of it?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE this!!!!!! MOM

 
At November 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

We're reading Tom Sawyer right now. I was extremely hesitant, but I asked my mom who has read it to her girls (still living at home) and she said with a bit of editing, it was acceptable for little ears. I was still hesitant because I thought it might be too difficult, BUT the day after we started reading, I found my 3 oldest outside "whitewashing" our back deck with water. That's certainly the book rubbing off on them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home