This Page

has been moved to new address

Lion Bites... they work for me!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Lion Bites... they work for me!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lion Bites... they work for me!

It's been a while since I last participated in a Works for Me Wednesday, but here I am... with something that (so far) has been working for me.

Any of you have trouble getting your littles to finish a meal in a timely manner? Seriously... if there were tickets written for going too slow... Tornado would have tons. Of course he only moves slow when we want him to move faster... but then... perhaps it's all a matter of perspective. Anyway... when eating something spoon or fork fed, it is an easy fix to simply "help" him along by holding the fork or spoon myself, but when it comes to sandwiches or other finger foods, sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get that mouth open wide enough to get a "big" bite. (Get it... pulling teeth... opening his mouth...never mind.)

Enter a wonderful developmental place... animals. Tornado loves animals... all sorts! He can sign most of them, do the sounds of some and knows the name of lots! One of the first animals he learned is "lion". Thank you to Daniel and the Lion's Den, the 3 (yes, that says three) stuffed lions in our stuffed animal collection, and of course the lions on Noah's Ark for helping introduce Tornado to the furry maned creature. For a long time he would sign it and roar... that is simply what they were called... "roar". Sometimes that is still the way he does it... and other times he actually says lion. It's so cute... but I digress.

A week or so ago, we were struggling through another painfully slow and highly distracted meal. I was "helping" things along, but still he wouldn't open his mouth wide enough for me to stuff gently place food into. Then I asked him if he could take a big lion bite (bite the size a lion would take), and I demonstrated... roar and all. Here is the correct proceedure for demonstration:
  • beginning placement of your head is chin down, head tilted to the left, mouth closed
  • proceed to roll your head around clockwise, opening your mouth and roaring big while putting something inside
  • end on the opposite side, chin down, head tilted to the right
Sorry I don't have a video clip for you, but I just don't.

Tornado really loved this. Now, whenever I'm trying to encourage continued eating, I simply say, can you take a "lion bite"? Whether he is feeding himself or I'm doing it for him, he instantly gives a wide open mouth roar and takes a bite of whatever.

Give it a try... and if you have any other suggestions, share them in the comments... I love when we can all work together here. :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 at 8:47 PM , Blogger MediMonsters said...

Great tip. Glad its working for him. Mine are all older now and won't stop eating!! LOL TFS!

 
At October 24, 2008 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Ben and Kristen said...

I did something similar this week with my toddler...asked him to go up the stairs like a cheetah, fast fast fast...worked like a charm!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home