This Page

has been moved to new address

Who Knew Temperature Really Does Make a Difference?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Who Knew Temperature Really Does Make a Difference?

Friday, November 2, 2007

Who Knew Temperature Really Does Make a Difference?

Well, the bread is in the oven and I can smell it! There is very little better than that. We can smell it on the highway when we pass the bread factory too, but that is just a tease... especially if there is no food in the car. :) Well... I can't be sure yet, but I think this may be a super successful loaf! Loaf #1 was great (you can see the pictures here), but short. Loaf #2 (we're eating it now... almost gone, therefore the loaf in the oven) was great too, but it was really wet. I must have put in more liquid ingredients than I should have... very gooey! This loaf (loaf #3) seemed much higher when I moved it from the bread machine to the loaf pan, and now... as of 18 minutes into the 30 minute baking time... it is actually taller than the sides of the pan! I thought something didn't look right with those other loaves!

So what did I do differently??? This time I actually tested the temperature of the water before adding it. The recipe calls for water between 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit. Never thought about it before, but that is a pretty narrow margin! I wonder (duh) if it really is important?!? So, I measured my normal guess at "warm enough" from the tap. Hmmm.... 95ish degrees. Wow... that is pretty far off. Ok... let the faucet run longer... ok... hotter water. Almost 110! We let that fudge over. We'll have to see what happens next week if I actually have the exact temp!

So, for those of you, like me, who never thought it was that big of a deal... it is! Take that water's temperature (just make sure you buy one designed for food... that baby thermometer isn't a good idea ~ don't worry, I didn't make that mistake too!)

I'll post a picture when it's done!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At November 3, 2007 at 2:05 AM , Blogger Irene said...

Oooh, homemade bread... I never thought about how money saving that can be. Bread at the grocery store can be steep and in this climate, it can go bad quick. Oh and by the way, I went shopping for girlie clothes today and had a blast, they will be in the mail ASAP!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home