This Page

has been moved to new address

Recipe ~ Crustworthy Meatloaf

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Recipe ~ Crustworthy Meatloaf

Monday, December 10, 2007

Recipe ~ Crustworthy Meatloaf

I don't know where this recipe originated, but it is the only meatloaf I can ever remember my mom making growing up (even before I liked it). As an adult, I learned to love! it. Now, since I've been married, it is one of our favorite recipes... and it's really pretty simple. I'm not sure why we don't have it more often!

Here is the recipe:

Crustworthy Meatloaf

1 loaf frozen bread dough
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 ½ c. soft bread crumbs
1 8oz. jar Cheese Whiz
¾ c. chopped onion
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper

1. Thaw bread dough in fridge overnight, covered. Bring to room temp.**
2. Reserve 1 Tbsp. egg for glaze.
3. Combine remaining ingredients. Put in loaf pan and bake at 350˚ for 45 min. Drain.
4. Press dough into bottom of greased cookie sheet. Place loaf in center of dough.
5. Cut 6 strips in each side of dough and criss-cross over top.
6. Brush dough with reserved egg.
7. Return to oven and bake 20 min.

Micro instructions: Micro loaf on high for 20 min., wrap and bake in traditional oven for 20 min.

** Bread can be defrosted in micro—follow package directions.

Note:
  • I make my own bread dough in the bread machine (1 lb. loaf seems to work great)
  • I greased my cookie sheet with butter (this helps greatly with both serving and clean-up)
  • I used to mix/kneed the beef mixture by hand and it works but is messy... recently I have found that I can mix it with a wooden spoon and it works great (I don't even have to take off my rings!)
  • We use venison in place of beef
  • Don't loose heart if your meatloaf falls apart when you transfer it. I've never had it stay together yet (though this time I was able to put it back together more beautifully than ever before). It still tastes great... and the bread really holds it together!

DH took a couple pictures for me... but the memory card it's on is missing at the moment. I will update this post with pictures when I find it! :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At December 10, 2007 at 3:38 PM , Blogger Tip Junkie said...

Yummy!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home