This Page

has been moved to new address

The Season of Receiving

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: The Season of Receiving

Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Season of Receiving

I was contemplating Christmas today while DH was out doing his Christmas shopping (of course meaning his shopping for me). I was doing a different kind of contemplating than you would expect though... at least than I would expect. I would love to tell you I was sitting back pondering the birth of Jesus in my heart, or going down a list of things I praise God for, or something equally (and deeply) "spiritual".

The contemplating I was doing had more to do with thinking about receiving. As in gifts. Don't get me wrong... I get that it is better to give than receive, and I know the real reason for Christmas, but at the same time I get really excited about opening presents (the result of growing up in an affluent [aren't we all compared to others] society no doubt) just about any time. Really it's more about the surprise. I love presents at my birthday or Christmas, or just about any time.

This year though, I'm not really looking forward to anything in particular. I'm super excited to have my husband open his gift, and I know I will love whatever he found for me, but gifts overall are not important. I am feeling the need to be very simple, yet am surrounded by a deluge of gifts for myself, my husband and, mostly, our little boy. For myself I'm almost afraid to do the opening part of Christmas... knowing that I really don't need anything. As lovely as my gifts will be, I'm sure, it seems contrary to the simplifying and decluttering we are trying to do in our home and lives.

For our son it is even harder. DH and I agree (though it is something I have come by slower) that there is no reason for him to have a ton of toys. First, we have limited space for living in, let alone toy storage. Second, if we are to train him to be content with simple things, we don't want to surround him with every thing possible.

While we have personally bought very few things for our son, he never wants for anything! Between grandparents, great grandparents, friends and other family, our home is overflowing with toys etc! Please don't misunderstand me! We feel very blessed that the Lord has provided so many things for us and our little one. I'm just trying to figure out how to find a balance. We have so many things from other people that I haven't even felt like I could give him the one toy we bought that I was most excited about. :(

Anyway... this post has dragged on long enough I'm sure. And with all the family buzzing around, I'm getting distracted. I would love to know how you have dealt with similar situations in your families. Christmas is a time for celebrating Christ and his gift! I am blessed to have already "opened" that gift. If you haven't already "opened" the Gift God sent to the world, I'd love to tell you how! :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At December 24, 2007 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

So much of what you wrote holds true for me that I may as well have written your note today. I tried very hard this year not to get people "stuff" because all it does is clutter up their houses or they take it back. I tried to get them useful things. As for our little girl, we only got her four gifts which is plenty for an 18 month old who doesn't really understand what is going on. And she will get plenty of other things from her grandmothers, etc..

Oh, and I love to open presents! That is one of my favorite things, to be surprised by some kind of gift. Don't tell my husband, but I have figured out what he got me, and I am disappointed, not with what he got me, but because I won't have a surprise!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home