This Page

has been moved to new address

Reader Question About Tuna

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Reader Question About Tuna

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reader Question About Tuna

I got this email from Irene:

Thank you for the nutrition for toddlers part of your blog...question, how do you serve the tuna? Do you use mayo, put it on bread? I don’t like tuna but it sounds like good way to get protein in my kids.

Thanks Irene for a great question!

First of all, you are right… tuna is a great (and so easy… and so inexpensive) way to get protein into our kids! In fact, The World’s Healthiest Foods Website calls it an “excellent source of high quality protein”. You don’t have to twist my arm any further… but then we learn that it is also an all around “nutrient dense food!” Ok, ok… I’ll mix up a batch for my son! :)

One of the other (in addition to the protein) great reasons to feed tuna to your children (and yourself… especially during pregnancy and while nursing) is the omega-3 essential fatty acids contained within! This is something that is *essential* for good health, but that our bodies do not make on their own… we must get them through the foods we eat.

So how do I serve it to my toddler???

I do mix the canned tuna (canned in water) with some sort of “moistening agent”. Sometimes it is mayo, but I prefer to use salad dressings like Ranch, Caesar, or Blue Cheese. (We found a brand of Ranch that contains no MSG in the refrigerated section in the produce department of our grocery store.) I like the added flavors that the spices, etc. add to the tuna.

Sometimes I put the tuna, spread thin, on bread (as I will tomorrow), open faced and let DS self feed. I do find however that my 13 month old often picks the tuna off and eats them separately. Older toddlers and children will do better with the sandwich style, whether open or closed. Other days, like my plan for Friday, I spoon or fork feed the tuna from a bowl. It really all depends on whether or not I want my son to have a slice of bread with the given meal or not.

As an aside… my husband loves tuna melts, so add a little cheese to the tuna sandwich and melt it on the stove top and you have a whole new option! :)

Does anyone else have serving ideas for feeding tuna to your toddlers or young children?

For more kitchen related tips, visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I will have to try this with my girls, 'though they can actually be sort of finicky at times. I like tuna!

 
At January 22, 2008 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

OH man...if you have Pampered Chef's Tuna Melt Patties recipe, you should totally share that! We love it in this household. Actually, it makes me want one right now!

 
At January 23, 2008 at 9:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My children love tuna, but I try to limit it. The mercury reports are frightening. Its a shame we have to worry about such things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home