This Page

has been moved to new address

What's in my Hospital Bag?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: What's in my Hospital Bag?

Saturday, March 1, 2008

What's in my Hospital Bag?

Ok... so this became a rather large issue to me last night at 11 when we were getting ready for bed and I was having some contractions. :) I just knew that if I didn't get everything ready, I would certainly be in labor before long. DH was thrilled when I asked him to pull out the luggage from the back of the closet so I could pack it... at 11 pm when he was already practically asleep. :) My sweet darling did it for me anyway though! I was thankful to already have a list of things I wanted in my bag. Here it is!

Labor and Delivery Hospital Bag List:
  • chapstick (a must for me anytime, especially in the dry hospital air!)
  • socks (my mom sent a crazy pair... I'll try to get pictures sometime!)
  • scrunchii (do I even have to explain?... I have a lot of hair!)
  • nail file (a rough nail would make me crazy!)
  • eye drops (for DH and his contacts)
  • Cliff Bars (I still need to get these, they are DH's favorite and I thought they would be a nice snack for him)
  • tooth brush and tooth paste (I'd hate to have a bad taste in my mouth and no way to fix it... plus, I need it for postpartum anyway)
  • Journal (I need somewhere to put all those "can't blog them till later" thoughts)
  • Suduko book (in case we are bored and have the energy)
  • brush (probably not needed till postpartum, but might as well have it now)
  • birth plan/hospital paper work
  • magazines/book
  • moisturizer (goes with the chapstick at the beginning of the list!)
  • camera and video camera
  • Husband (he would love to miss this part... but I'm making him come!) :)

Postpartum Hospital Bag List:

  • shampoo and conditioner
  • face soap
  • make up (I don't wear much very often, but maybe it will help me feel pretty after child birth!)
  • Home going outfit
  • underwear
  • nursing bra
  • nursing pads
  • socks/slippers
  • Home going outfit for baby
  • baby blankets


Any other ideas ladies?? What did you bring with you??? Or what did you wish you brought? Let us know! I would love any ideas (I hate regretting things later!)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At March 1, 2008 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I blogged about this too before I gave birth last summer. My list is posted here: http://www.familymusings.com/2007/07/packed-for-hospital.html.

I haven't been reading your blog for long so don't know if you are going natural, with meds, or a c-section, but if needed, don't forget a copy of your birth plan and a nursing pillow if you plan to breastfeed. I was glad I had mine at the hospital so i could figure out how to use it before going home (since this was my 1st baby).

I can't wait to reda your birthstory!!!

 
At March 1, 2008 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Kacie said...

I'm really excited for you! Can't wait to "meet" your new baby via pictures!

I guess that would be a thing to add to your travel bag--a camera (with a memory card and battery or film).

Also, on some Discovery Channel birthing show, I remember a lady saying she brought some maxi pads because she uh, dripped a little post-partum. Cheaper than buying ones from the hospital.

And, car seat for baby. And Tylenol or other meds you're allowed to have and might need.

 
At March 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Irene said...

I thought of a couple of things...

Food. The hospital food didn't cut it for me. I wanted things like Triscuits and Nilla Wafers, just something to take the edge off. Gum too.

Also, I don't know if you use them but we were happy to bring a pacifier. The hospital sometimes have them but I don't like their brand. We were so thankful to have it since Elias was comforted by it in the nighttime.

Oh and baby nail clippers for sure!

 
At March 1, 2008 at 2:35 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

Thanks for the ideas ladies!!! In theory I would have a birth plan, but I don't have anything officially written up yet. There are only a couple things that are "huge" for me, so I suppose I'll just tell them.

Your ideas are great Kacie, but we have a good insurance plan and anything that they give us at the hospital is completely covered... so really, it is more frugal to use whatever we can get them to give us. :)

Oh, and the food at our hospital is really pretty good Irene! (Hmmm... is that why we chose this hospital???) :) And I think we are going to try to keep baby girl off the pacifier for the first weeks at least while we figure out nursing. We had such problems with DS... I'm not willing to add anything that could mess things up! If I did have a birth plan written that would be on it... no formula and no paci! :)

 
At March 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Marva said...

We brought some quarters (a roll) for the phone and snack machines. Our cell phones and Bible. Just a few thoughts! Blessings!!!

 
At March 1, 2008 at 11:29 PM , Blogger jessica @pianomomsicle said...

i was very glad for a super comfy robe when i gave birth to my son, as well as a mildly cute zip up sweatshirt/sweatpants combo to wear while people visited. Comfy, but not the plain old hospital gown.

Make sure to steal a hospital baby blanket!

Also, enlist a family member or close friend to clean up your house a bit and bake something yummy right before you get home. Wouldn't getting home and having a yum smell and a cleaner house AND a beautiful new baby be nice?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home