This Page

has been moved to new address

Happy Birthday Tornado... and the "Genius" syndrome

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Happy Birthday Tornado... and the "Genius" syndrome

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Tornado... and the "Genius" syndrome

Yep, today my little guy is 2 years old! What fun. It's hard to believe it's only been two years sometimes. He has grown and learned so much. He is constantly blowing my mind. Which is what brings me to the "genius" syndrome part of today's programming.

Many of us have had the opportunity to sit in the presence of a mother whose little Johnny is so smart. We sit and listen because things like "so?", or "that's not all that special", or "all kids can do that" are just rude to say at that moment. Despite how we want to. Well, as we've been inching closer to this 2nd birthday for a few weeks, I've had an insight into this whole "Genius" syndrome some families seem to have. And I believe the insight came in direct response to my own realization that my boy is, indeed, brilliant!

How many times in this last, oh, 6 months, have I just watched... or listened... or whatever, in shock over how smart Tornado is. He can say most of Genesis 1:1 with me, he knows the motions to tons of songs, he can sing parts of them himself, he counts to 8 alone (and to 10 if I remind him of 9), he puts diapers in the diaper pail for me, laundry on the washer for me, and can clean up his own toys. He recognizes several letters and knows their sounds, can do the 3 peg puzzles we have all alone, knows most all the farm animals and their sounds and tons of other animals. I could go on... but then I know you will just be thinking all those things I mentioned above.

So what? Lots of kids can do most of those things. But listen... we aren't suppose to be comparing our kids to others... and I don't! I do think Tornado is excelling in a number of things, but that really doesn't matter. You see... I knew Tornado when all he could do was lay there. He didn't do anything... not smile, not laugh, not look where I wanted him too, not anything. Then one day... he could. There was a time he couldn't wave or walk or clap his hands, then one day... he could. So you see... I'm remembering my little boy, who just 3 months ago wasn't talking at all, and it's hard not to be impressed with my genius toddler who can sing songs by himself or yell "bye" out the window to the mail lady. It's hard not to watch in wonder and joy as he guides his sister around the room while she pushes her walking toy around. It's impossible not to rejoice a bit when he actually tells me he has to go potty... then does. Doesn't matter how far ahead or behind a kid is compared to the other kids, to the mommies... we only see the accomplishment! And that is why there is celebration!

Today we are celebrating Tornado... we are celebrating his accomplishments. He has soooo far to go. I'm looking forward to celebrating the accomplishment of obedience someday. But it doesn't matter how far he has to go... I can look back and see how far he's come and know that each of those steps I'm still waiting for is just around the corner.

All this reflecting has given me a glimpse of what it must be like for our Father. He is the Daddy and we are the little ones. He knew us when we could do nothing for ourselves... he knew us when we were in darkness. What joy and celebration he must feel each time we "master" something new. I know he celebrates with us as well!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At December 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM , Blogger Marva said...

Happy Birthday Tornado! Your Mom and this blogger friend are so very proud of you! Sweet blessings!!!

 
At December 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM , Blogger Laura said...

What a great analogy you brought to light in that last paragraph. Thanks!

 
At December 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So well put. My little one's 2nd birthday is right around the corner on Jan 3rd and I also have spent much of the last 3 months marvelling over all she can do. It is so precious to see our little ones grow up and start to become their own little people. Some of my favorite accomplishments of my own little lady are Saying "Bless You", when I sneeze; Picking up new signs at a staggering pace; Requesting her favorite song when we get in the car; recognizing that Mommy is "tired or sleepy" when I yawn and of course my favorite is offering me big hugs and kisses usually whenever I ask!

I am getting ready to welcome a 2nd little one in Jan as well and look forward to seeing another little human grow and change before my eyes. This time it will be under the watchful eye of a doting big sister who could sit for hours singing to and kissing my belly. Isn't life magical...

 
At December 4, 2008 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Happy Birthday, Tornado! It is so amazing how much they learn in the first 2 years.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home