This Page

has been moved to new address

Learning for Little Ones: Out in the Woods

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Learning for Little Ones: Out in the Woods

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Learning for Little Ones: Out in the Woods

Welcome to Learning for Little Ones! Do you have an idea or activity you do with your little ones??? Please share it with us. I'd love it if you would write a post on it sometime in the next couple days and link up to our Mr. Linky. I would ask, though, that you include somewhere in your post a link back to this post so others can participate! Thanks!


I grew up in the city... well, the suburbs really, but My Beloved is a country boy all the way. Add to that the fact that we live well... in a woody area. You know... where there are bugs and spiders and, well, you know. We find snakes on our front steps and deer walking behind our house. A ground hog lived in the hill just outside the kids room for a while. And we have a creek behind out house. We're definitely not in the city any more ToTo... oh wait... that was just a movie.

It's been a long while since I've included pictures with a post that I thought you might enjoy it. So this week I'd like to share with you a little nature walk.

My Beloved enjoys hunting (also not something you do living in the LA area, but here it is a different story) and we have come to really enjoy what a deer or two can do to stretch our food budget. With that (and rising food prices) in mind, we headed out several weeks ago to try out My Beloved's new axe. He wanted to make sure the area around his tree stand was ship shape on the viability scale. The weather was so-so, so we put on jackets and headed out with him... through the woods to his tree stand.

And get this... while Daddy was chopping down trees and such, Tornado got to... play on the ground! This was a loose learning day. He played with leaves, threw rocks, walked around (on a crazy hill), picked up sticks and all around got dirty. I had to force myself to be okay with that.

Daddy even found a little box turtle. We put it somewhere we could watch it, but it didn't come out. Tornado loved looking at it and even pointed to where it was when we put it back under the tree later. Just being out in nature was loaded with learning opportunities. This was a great example of child directed learning... he played and I would tell him what things were. We searched for Daddy through branches and he balanced on the brushy hill.

This picture doens't really have anything to do with learning... but I thought it was so cute. Tornado loves to walk through Daddy's legs!


______________________________
What are you doing with your little ones? Write a post on your blog and link up here. Be sure to link directly to your Learning for Little Ones post and don't forget to link back here so others can participate too. Feel free to use my little Learning for Little Ones banner at the top. Don't have a blog??? Leave your ideas in the comments section. :) I'm so looking forward to visiting your blogs and learning from all of you!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 29, 2008 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Donielle said...

So fun! I love that we live out in the country so we can do all that stuff.
*and yup, I'm learning to like venison too! Hubs has gotten one already this year with hopes for another. :-)

 
At October 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

We used to live on a farm, and I miss the opportunity to teach my little ones such interesting things. There just isn't quite the amount of wildlife in a neighborhood.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home