This Page

has been moved to new address

We did a crazy thing yesterday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: We did a crazy thing yesterday

Monday, May 18, 2009

We did a crazy thing yesterday

Some of you may not think it's very crazy, but it was to me. Yesterday morning we visited a different church! I know, shocking isn't it? I found this church online several weeks ago, and I've been curious about it. I found it through this website which lists family integrated churches.

The families stay together... the whole time. There is simply a worship service, no Sunday School classes where everyone goes their own way. There is no children's ministry staff, no nursery workers, and no worries if your baby drops a toy, or needs to be changed in the background. I know these things because they happened... during the sermon... and no one batted an eye lash at it. Another aspect I really loved is that the men do everything, each father/husband for his own family. The men all gathered (all 6 or 7 of them plus the older boys too) for prayer just before the service started. The men all gathered to serve their own family communion. And the men each let their own families in family prayer time before corporate prayer time. They have a goal of leading men to be better leaders of their families... and it was so great! It felt wonderful to be in such a situation where we were clearly sitting under the spiritual leadership of My Beloved! I think he really liked that aspect of it too. I loved that we were such a part of the service, especially him, instead of onlookers.

We're still discussing what we thought of it in depth. We really enjoyed a number of aspects of it. Jury's still out on whether we will visit again. In the mean time we are praying about and discussing what we are going to do "next".

I don't think I've mentioned that we are questioning our next step in ministry and church. We've stepped down from teaching the Children's Choir and are no longer on the nursery schedule. I've been telling people that we are evaluating where the Lord would have us serve next, and that's exactly true. I just didn't know how vast that statement was. We are evaluating whether we will stay at our church, or do something else, whether we will seek a new Sunday School class, or stay where we are. It's a lot to decide... and we love the people in our church and would hate to offend anyone. I don't know how long this process will take, but we're definately in it.

What are your churches like? I'd really like to know, especially if you keep your children with you.

I'll try to share more about our search as we get to it... it goes deeper than even I imagine at times. :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At May 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it is great that you are open to new opportunities. I think for me, I would be most concerned that the church taught a theology I agreed with first then I would want one that was more "family-friendly."

How does the theology of this church agree with your own views of the Bible?

 
At May 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

That is an excellent question Jennifer! And the first one we ever look at. Before even thinking of trying it out we looked into what they believed as much as we could. More than that it is hard to know with just one sermon, but that is certainly some of what we are still thinking and talking through. Before we ever considered changing churches there would be much more time spent with the people, even questioning the pastor and such.

Yesterday it was just nice to spend time with some people who think the way we do... at least on some things. :)

 
At May 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

I checked out that website and was disappointed that there are no churches listed in our area. I suspected that anyway since in our searching, we've found none that believe as we do on that issue. :-( We currently don't attend a regular church. We have not given up meeting with other believers, but we do not attend an organized church...

 
At May 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

Thanks for sharing Kristin! It's difficult, I'll say that. We may end up in the same boat if we don't find that this church is a good fit in every other area. We'll keep you posted as to what we decide to do in the long run. Hopefully we can be an encouragement to others who struggle with this.

 
At May 23, 2009 at 12:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have always kept our kids with us as much as we want too. I don't remember being questioned or looked down on because we were working on raising godly children. If asked why my child didn't go to children's church and the reason was that she wanted to listen to the sermon - it didn't seem to be a problem. We have always sat toward the back so that we won't bother anyone with the extra noises... or additional trips to the bathroom. This has been at four churches. Jenni Birch

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home