This Page

has been moved to new address

An ugly word... (updated)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: An ugly word... (updated)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An ugly word... (updated)

And an ugly thing at that. Divorce. And no wonder it's so ugly. Just look at what it is, the destruction of something God gave. The brokenness of loving your closest neighbor, the second greatest commandment. It destroys something in each of us -- husband, wife, child, parent, friend.

I have wanted to post on this subject for a long while now (year and a half maybe), but it never seemed the right time. Too personal perhaps. Too close. It's still just as personal, and still just as close, but in the moment, I'm bringing it up. At least to some extent. You see, in the last 2 years my family has been touched by divorce. A year ago this month my parent's divorce was final. The eight months prior to that were an emotional roller coaster as we struggled through it with them. Bringing them to Scripture and hearing them say it didn't matter.

We have been blessed that much of the stress on these relationships has been relieved in the past 6 months with the repentance of one heart, but renewed again with more rebellion and another ugly word... remarriage.

It makes me sick.

Updated: Please be kind in your comments. I know this is not an exhaustive post on the topic of divorce and we want to be sure to love one another in our conversations. I will try to cover this topic in more detail sometime soon. Thank you!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At June 30, 2009 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Megan said...

why is remarriage an ugly word too? or is it just ugly in the situation your dealing with?

 
At June 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

I'll expound some more in a future post, but let me start by sharing this verse from God's Word on divorce and remarriage.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11
"To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife."

There is much more that can be said. I should have waited to post a more carefully drafted post on this topic as I imagine this will become more of a hot topic than I am really up for today.

I will post more on this topic in the furture.

 
At June 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Donielle @ Raising Peanuts said...

Such a hard thing to go through. I was there my self 8 years ago as I watched my parents marriage fail. And it seems we have the same views on remarriage which I dealt with 2 years ago.

My prayers are with you!

 
At June 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Thank you for saying it how it is! I believe the same as you, that according to the scriptures, divorce and remarriage are forbidden, but it seems many are turning away from that and softening the commandments.

 
At July 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Irene said...

When I first read you post I thought you meant that your parents are remarrying...but then I realized that remarriage wouldn't be an ugly word at this point, it would be amazing. So I'm sorry, I agree with you, the scripture makes it clear, I don't blame you one bit for feeling upset about it. Hang in there friend, God is still Sovereign!

 
At November 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents divorced when I was 12 and it was horrible, very sad. My dad remarried a couple of years later. That was hard. Harder still that they married in April and we found out about it in August. (They lived in one state, and we lived several states away.)

The three of them never did play nicely . . . it was miserable when my hubby and I got married... definitely harder to deal with this when I was an adult.

Well. Then my dad passed away last year and I realize I never gave Stepma a fair chance. She wasn't my "mother" I wasn't going to call her "step mother", had no interest in getting to know her children, etc., etc. I've found in the past year that she's not the terrible person that I thought she was. ;)

I'm not disputing what the Bible says about divorce and remarriage, I'm just saying that we as kids are not responsible for our parents' choices. But we ARE responsible for our choices, how we act towards our parents.

I'm sorry that you are going through the pain of divorce. It's not fun at all. Remarriage afterwards is always messy.

I wish you well in navigating these painful waters.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home