This Page

has been moved to new address

Potty Training

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Potty Training

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Potty Training

So... we've been potty training for a while. Maybe since January or February officially. I stopped putting diapers on my boy and started putting him in underwear. I know some would say that what I've done is train myself, but it's still saving money on diapers. I started by taking him every 15-30 minutes, and he usually went. Even before I switched to underwear, we'd been going at key moments throughout the day and it had been weeks since I'd changed a poopy diaper. The theory here is that he'd get it eventually.

Well, 4-5 months later I'm still taking him regularly, though it's more like each hour. We have our accidents, but I'd love to have exact numbers on how much money we've saved on diapers... not to mention not having to change them. I put them on him for nap and bed times, but even then he is dry sometimes.

He doesn't mind using the toilet for potty time or even the *other*. He is very good at it, uses the "big potty" and even gets himself up there all by himself now.

Sounds great doesn't it??? Only thing, he doesn't tell us when he has to go. Sure, when we are at the grocery store or sitting in church he does (for which we are thankful since we keep him in underwear even when we go out), but that is only because he doesn't want to be wherever he is... an excursion to the potty is a welcome retreat. At home though, it's only happened once or twice... and maybe I was just imagining it.

A couple weeks ago he took off his pants and gave them to me. Was that an "I have to go" or a boy stripping for the fun of it? I have no idea. Occasionally I catch him "grabbing" and I say "run to the potty!" Accidents happen when Mommy looses track of the time or forgets to take him before meals (as he definitely won't stop to tell me when there is food involved.) Lately he has taken to hiding before pooping in his pants. I wonder what he is doing behind the recliner, or yesterday, sitting sneakily behind the ottoman, and it turns out he was hiding to poop. This tells me he knows it's coming and has control to go somewhere to do it.

So... what do I do? Any idea from you experienced moms? If you have my phone number, feel free to call. The rest of you, I'd welcome any comments and ideas! He is so close... I know he knows, so what do I do to connect the rest of the dots?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2009 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Hmmm...tough one. It's hard to know because my Owen does the same thing (hide) when he needs to poop, but he freezes when he hits the potty so I don't think he is totally ready for that step. He is the awareness step, but not the go on the potty step, if you know what I mean. With my kids, I tend to wait until they are almost ready to train themselves. With Gavin, that was past age 3. With Maddie, she was barely 2, but both of them trained with a week or two (including nights) once we started.

I hear you on the saving money on diapers. I wish I could stop buying that second pack each week (obviously we'll be buying Benjamin's for awhile!), but I just don't think Owen is quite ready.

 
At June 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM , Anonymous Donielle @ Raising Peanuts said...

Hot wheels were the BEST incentive for my little guy. He trained #1 months before #2 and i got sick of changing dirty diapers!! So everytime he went #2 in the potty, he got a brand new car. Everytime he went in his diaper at naps or his underwear , one got taken away. Worked within a few days for us!

Hope you find something that works!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home