This Page

has been moved to new address

Fireworks

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Fireworks

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fireworks

Our township does a firework show for it's anniversary each year. In the 4 1/2 years we've lived here, we've never been... that is until this year with a 2 year old who is afraid of everything and a 1 year old who is afraid of thunder. If you can't call me a good mother, you can at least know that I was showing love and submission to my dear husband. He *loves* fireworks, but only from the front row. In years past we've completely passed up the chance to see fireworks from afar... "there's just no point".

This year we thought we'd take them for the hay ride and fireworks. Hayride? Very fun! Fireworks... interesting.

Waiting for the fireworks was tough, though we killed some of the time by sharing an order of fresh cut fries. Then we just sat and sat and waited and he wasn't aloud to run around and "come back here" and such and such and such. Then, all of a sudden, without warning, we saw a speck of light shoot from the grassy field in front of us, into the air. We had very little time, and not enough time to alert Tornado (who still had no idea what "fireworks" were) to what was about to happen. He was standing in front of us, back turned to what was happening, Sweet Pea on my lap. Concerned with what Tornado would do, I didn't have the time or thought to think of what Sweet Pea would do. Before we knew it the first firework was exploding in the darkening sky... and my two year old was freaking out!

The darkness was making it increasingly difficult to see around us, and I wasn't sure which direction Tornado would run in his panic, so I was out of my chair and rushing toward him in very little time... whisking a screaming Sweet Pea with me.

What? Earplugs, you ask?? Yeah, that would have been a good idea. Where were you Saturday?

With Tornado's arm in my hand and screaming Sweet Pea over my arm, I retreated to my chair and thrust Tornado into Daddy's lap where he could calm down and watch the show with Daddy's hands pressed tightly over each ear.

I proceeded to hold Sweet Pea against me, pressing one ear into my body and holding my hand over the other. She calmed down... Tornado didn't... ever.

After a moment of listening to his hysteria and calls for Mommy, I moved from my chair to the ground beside my sweet husband and took on Tornado also. The transfer was comical for sure, as we were careful to keep his ears covered the whole time. It was a bit of a juggling act, but eventually he did stop screaming. He wanted to see them, but wasn't happy about the noise. He made continual whining noises, I imagine because it echoed in his head with his ears covered and drowned out some of the sound.

At any rate, it's all he's talked about today... "Are we going to see more fireworks tonight?" he asked me this morning on the way to church. He remembers how scary they were, but he doesn't seem to care.

Whatever!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At June 8, 2009 at 9:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home