This Page

has been moved to new address

Try this tonight

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Try this tonight

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Try this tonight


Ok... so I'm not a food blog. If I were, I would have put these delicious bread sticks on a pretty plate and made them look all special. Instead, you're seeing exactly what we did. Bread sticks on parchment paper on the cookie sheet on the stove.

Yeah.

Pretty much.

In my defense... they were not part of dinner. Not even planned.

Tuesday evening, I made hamburgers. Which means, in this "we don't buy bread" household, I made hamburger buns too. Sometime this past year we found and tried this very yummy and better than anything I'd ever tried recipe for Whole Wheat Rolls. Way better than using my favorite bread recipe and shaping it into rolls (we use this one now!).

A week or so ago, I was reading over at Raising Olives and had left the page open to go about my daily activities. Before I knew it, My Beloved was sitting at my computer and he had clicked through... at Raising Olives. Not in a new tab like I had thought.

"Let's make these!" He said with a tone in his voice I've learned to understand as "Why haven't you made these for me before?"

I came over to see that he had clicked, only to see that he had his eyes on Kimberly's Hamburger Bun Recipe. Oh sure, I'd seen the tutorial link in her sidebar a bunch of times. But I already had a "Bun" recipe that worked well... or so I thought.

What hadn't ever occurred to me is that I was using a recipe for rolls... one that worked, but still rolls.

This recipe actually claimed to be buns!

I assured him that it was in no way a deliberate breech in my vows and that I would try them the next time... and then I made plans for "the next time" to be soon.

Fast forward to this week. Tuesday. It was time.

I hate new recipes. It's so much easier to make an old recipe... no matter how imperfect. At least I know what I'm getting myself into. But I tried it. And you know what? It was easy! And reasonably fast!

The first thing that stood out to me was that I wouldn't be rolling portions of dough into balls to flatten out later. No... she rolls her dough out and uses the ring from a wide mouth mason (canning) jar to cut them out. I was skeptical, but I L.O.V.E. it. It worked wonderfully and was a great size. For kid sizes, I used the regular mouth size. (Note: this recipe is from a mom of many... it makes a bunch! I baked 12 of them for eatting and freezing and froze the rest of the pre-cut dough for "fresh" baking later... 30+ of them!)

I had to re-roll the dough several times to get them done until I decided I didn't care about the remaining dough. I was afraid to roll them out one more time anyway. Instead, the kids and I rolled them "snake" style and put them on a cookie sheet to put right in the (still) preheating oven.

15-20 minutes later, they were out and we were tasting them. My Beloved took the first taste and was unimpressed. Boring. I wish I could say we had the next thought at the same time, but I'm pretty sure he had me by several moments.

Before I knew it I was spreading butter onto the hot bread sticks. It was melting as fast as I was doing it. Then... with the precision of a man with a jar of seasonings, yum was being sprinkled over the top.

And by "yum" I mean Nora's Spice Rub-Mediterranean.

Yum!

Did I already say that?

We picked it up at the farm show on Sunday... and Y.U.M!

You should really peruse the site and get some for yourself! We met the owner of the business and talked with her for a few minutes while she was grilling us up some bread to give us a sample of this very yummy seasoning mix, but she was busy. I didn't get to ask her all the questions going in my head about her little business. (All this to say... she doesn't know me and I'm getting nothing for my words here!)

At the very least, try the buns (which were better than store bought, by the way... and whole wheat) so you can make those bread sticks. Brush them with butter and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning!

And I promise not to judge you if you eat them from the pan on the stove... even if they are planned!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home