This Page

has been moved to new address

Good... not harm!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Good... not harm!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Good... not harm!


"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life."
Proverbs 31:11-12


These verses just don't get enough attention!

They don't. Think about it... when you think about the Proverbs 31 woman, you think about sewing, planting, selling, working hard, buying and preparing food... and doing it all by candle light either early in the morning or late into the night. We know that these things are bringing our husbands good (at least they would if we were doing them all), but do we really think about this specifically?

My hearts desire all these long years has been to be that Proverbs 31 woman for my husband... for my Lord. And really, isn't that why we are here now... talking about these things? But now I'm wondering. Do I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman for God? For my sweet husband? Or for me?

Yep... here it is again. AGAIN.

Pride.

And this is news to me ladies! I sat down to type something completely different tonight. Or, maybe I didn't know what to type, but I had to start anyway. I didn't even realize that my desire to be a P31 was anything but purely motivated. And I'm shocked and astonished.

Or not.

Oh, I'm surprised by this new realization. I'm just not so surprised to see one more area of my life where pride has control.

Perhaps this is why it's easier to make lists and schedules and routines than it is to actually do them. Perhaps that's why it's easier to read books and posts and testimonial on this topic of being a homemaker/helpmeet/etc. than it is to actually work at it. Perhaps it's the reason I can spend all afternoon decorating a print out of verse 31:27 instead of actually applying it.

So what if my motives were changed?


"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life."
Proverbs 31:11-12

What if my heart truly desired to bring my sweet husband "good [and] not harm", not just in word... but in deed.

...

...

What would that even begin to look like? (This list in not all inclusive... just a start. Nor will it be the same as yours!)


From Proverbs 31:

13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
I would have "eager hands" in the tasks before me.
14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
We do our grocery shopping together, but I know it would bless him for me to have meal plans made and thorough shopping lists.
15 She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family....
Imagine... he could eat breakfast instead of going hungry until lunch. And if I could have a lunch packed for him too. That would be great!
17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
Cleaning the toilet weekly (or more), scrubbing the floors... the list really does go on!
18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
Making the most of my time, even in the evenings, to do work that blesses my family.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
To be prepared for whatever... and not scrambling when something comes up last minute!
22 She makes coverings for her bed....
Funny, but this is quite literally something he would like me to do. Make more "coverings" (read: quilts) for all our beds!
26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
Time in God's Word, meditation, prayer... and a slow answer (Prov. 15:1).

27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
HUGE! This one encompasses so many things... keeping up with dishes, scrubbing toilets, being consistent with the children... not wasting time online!


Again... this is just a start! What it really means is learning to ask myself constantly, "Is what I'm doing (or about to do) doing good for my husband? Or is it doing him 'evil' by neglecting what would be a blessing or, worse, hindering him?"

Can he really get relax in a cluttered home?

Can he really rest or putz around on his projects if he feels like he needs to help me with my work?

Does he feel confident leaving me in charge of his home and children when he goes to work in the morning?

Do I bring him "good, not harm, all the days of [his] life"?



Ok... your turn! I'd love to know what you've come up with. All I was really look for was a list of tasks you could do (I didn't intend to do more than that myself). Your choice, write up a whole post on your own blog and share the link with us here (grab my banner if you want!) or leave a list of ideas in the comments.

Again... if there are 10 of you out there who participate by Sunday night, I'll find something to giveaway and announce the winner next week!
I hope some of you will participate... I'm itching to give something away!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home