This Page

has been moved to new address

Chicken

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Chicken

Monday, October 22, 2007

Chicken

I don’t know if any of you have the joy and luxury of having a Karn’s Food Store nearby, but it is one of our favorite places to buy meat… well, at least chicken (since we purchase our beef from a local organic farm—we go in with another family and purchase a ¼ cow at a time, they butcher and package it for us). Most of the time they are at least cheaper than grocery store, but from time to time they have boneless skinless chicken breasts for super cheap! For instance, last year we found b/s chicken breasts for $.99 a pound! That’s right! Can you imagine? When we find it like this we buy it up in bulk! A couple years ago we invested in a chest freezer (and someday it will live in a garage like normal people have, but for now it is in the kitchen of our little home) so that we could buy such things in bulk. It has come in handy for all our meat purchases!

Well, sadly, with prices of everything from gas to milk going up, we don’t expect to ever see chicken for $.99 a pound again, so we resigned ourselves a couple months ago to paying $1.81 (still really good for b/s C.B. in our area) This weekend we found it for $1.41 as part of an anniversary sale. What can I say, we went crazy. :) They had it bagged in the back for those who wanted to take advantage of the sale for bulk buying like they usually do. But this time they also had cases… 40 lb. cases. We bought one. $60 later, here I am, Monday morning, bagging and cooking 40 lbs of b/s C.B.! I would have bagged more (putting 1-2 pounds per freezer bag) but I ran out of bags. Now I am cutting up the rest (somewhere from 15-20 pounds of chicken) and cooking it. That will go into storage containers in the freezer and be ready for such things as my Chicken Enchilada recipe (I'll try to include that in a future blog) or other such things. Hopefully the baby will stay asleep another hour!

There is lots of hand washing in a project like this. For space purposes, I must bounce back and forth from cutting to cooking and back to cutting again. Each switch requires washing to keep the raw chicken juices off the cooked chicken (not to mention my keyboard). The kitchen will need a serious wipe down after this is finished!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 22, 2007 at 9:44 PM , Blogger micaudio said...

Oh my goodness! Seriously, I cannot imagine 40 lbs of chicken... Not only that but touching 40 lbs of chicken is such a big feat...I am so happy for you that you saved a ton of money and have chicken for years to come:) You do realize that I am much to much of a germaphobe for that task? I think I need counseling!

 
At October 25, 2007 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Lindsey said...

Hello! This is my first time here... I am one of those people who click on some people's profiles when they leave a comment... Anyway, I got here through Crystal's blog, (the BW one)

We love Karn's chicken - we just got some b/s C.B.'s too... not 40 lbs this time, although we normally do get that much!

You can't live too far from our family... We are semi-close to Harrisburg. (45 mins or so)

It's a small world! =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home