This Page

has been moved to new address

When your toddlers nose is running...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: When your toddlers nose is running...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

When your toddlers nose is running...

This actually works for other ages too, though once your little ones hit pre-school age, they may not be interested any more. When our babies and toddlers have runny noses it is a constant flow of yuck that just spills all over everywhere (as in today in our home). Until we can teach them to blow their noses effectively, that flow will continue, and it's almost a full time job to follow after them wiping it clean. Then the tears come. They don't want us wiping their nose again... it hurts, it's red, and therefore it's just plain difficult!

Even those Puffs Plus just can't be sensitive enough for those little noses sometimes. And a handkerchief??? There is no way one of those can keep up. What I've found to be a great tool is a re-purposed receiving blanket!

That's right! Those soft flannel receiving blankets that really only swaddle our little ones for those first few months of life are perfect when re-purposed for a number of things. Many people use them for cleaning... I haven't gotten that far yet. First, I used them as burp cloths when DS's spit up got so out of control that normal burp clothes weren't keeping up. Now, I use them as over sized Kleenex! They are perfect because they are soft, flexible and big. I keep them folded in quarters... then when one part gets especially yucky, I just refold it so that clean parts are outside. When a blanket gets just to disgusting, I toss it in the washer (or sometimes hang it out to dry, depending on the consistency of the yuckiness) and get another one... there are plenty in this household. One note: make sure you keep them separate from any other receiving blankets being used for an actual infant! :)

This is something that works for us! For more Works For Me Wednesday posts, check here!

Also... for all you parents of little ones, check back tomorrow (unless our colds around here get worse, then it will be another day or two) for "Learning for Little Ones"! There are plenty of resources and ideas floating around the web for homeschooling, but ideas for our babies and toddlers are harder to find. I'll have a Mr. Linky ready, so stop by and share what you are doing with your little ones. No toddlers??? Share what you did when they were young! :)

See you soon!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great tip! Thanks! I just referred to how I use flannel receiving blankets in a post yesterday, washable swiffer cloths for hardwood and tile floors, works great in that department too!

 
At April 30, 2008 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good tip. I also use baby wipes which probably isn't remotely good for the environment or my budget, but they work well and eliminate that lovely dried snot face look.

 
At April 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

What a great idea! I will have to remember it the next time we have a runny nose.

 
At April 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Uberly Ewe said...

I do the same thing as Thediaperdiaries does....baby wipes and for some reason it seems to help with the soreness. My little guy doesn't cry to much when I have to wipe his nose, and sometimes he will actually come to me and say, "I need my nose wiped." We are working on the blowing through our nose thing, but it is only coming through the mouth at the moment, but he is trying.
OHHHHH Can't wait to read the post about the stuff for Toddlers!!! What fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home