This Page

has been moved to new address

A 2 Year Old Look at Nutrition and Serving Sizes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: A 2 Year Old Look at Nutrition and Serving Sizes

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A 2 Year Old Look at Nutrition and Serving Sizes

Now that Tornado is 2, I find myself wondering what, if any, changes I need to make in his diet. We've taken some time to look at nutrition for young toddlers (though not as much as I intended), but what about now? I found the following at Wholesome Toddler Food. Check out their site... it's full of info!

What is Considered a Serving Size for a Toddler?

A good rule for serving sizes for toddlers is the following::

1 tablespoon per year of age or

1/4 of an adult serving per year of age!

At the next meal, use these measurements exactly and see for yourself how little food a Toddler should actually be eating. We bet you will be quite surprised!

How Much Should I Try to Have my Toddler Eat per Day?

Daily Toddler Food Requirements

When planning and serving meals to your toddler, try to have him/or her consume the following on a daily basis

  • 2 to 3 cups of calcium - milk (or yogurt, cheese or other calcium rich foods).

  • 4 servings of fruits and vegetables. (Serving size: one tablespoon per year of age.) One serving should be high in vitamin C and another in vitamin A.

  • 4 servings of grains - bread and cereal. One should be an iron-fortified baby cereal. A serving is about 1/4 to 1/3 an adult portion (1/4 slice toast, 1/4 cup pasta).

  • 2 servings of proteins - meat, beans, eggs, tofu, or peanut butter. A good serving of protein should be served at every meal. One serving equals 1/2 ounce. Courtesy of Parent'sPlace Nutritionist Q&A.


Hope this is helpful! Now I guess we're doing 2 tablespoons for each serving! :)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At December 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM , Blogger lafondsi said...

Wow, thanks for the great info. My daughter eats well, but sometimes I worry she's not eating enough. According to this I think we are doing just fine!

 
At December 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Thanks! This was so helpful!

 
At December 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Oh my...the boys eat more than that!!! According to their growth, they're not even close to overweight (even looking at them you'd know that). But they eat quite a bit -- a lunch can include a whole pbj, goldfish, half a banana, and milk...pretty much what I eat! And half the time, Judah asks for more.

Can you imagine what my food bill will be in 10 years???

 
At December 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

This is really helpful! Thank you!

 
At July 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You named your kid Tornado?

 
At July 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

So glad everyone found use here.

Anonymous, My kids names are private... I've chosen nick names for them here on my blog. I was picking nick names when my oldest was a toddler and my mom had just visited and mentioned that he was like a little tornado moving through a room wherever he went. Now my current toddler deserves the name more, but I've left it the way it is. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home