This Page

has been moved to new address

What's on the Table Tuesday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: What's on the Table Tuesday

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's on the Table Tuesday


Sigh.

I've been trying to get this post done all day. All. Day. Especially since I've decided (and have been waiting a week for this) that on Tuesdays I'd post a "What's on the Table Tuesday" post. And here it is. Tuesday... night. Ooops!

Oh well.

I could tell you about how I finally sat down to start this post officially at 8 this evening once the kids were in bed, only to get a call from the couple taking our kids tomorrow (so we could do an important business meeting) canceling due to sickness. I then spent the next hour and a half on the phone trying to figure out a back up plan with a back up plan. I could tell you about all that...but I won't.

I could also tell you that I haven't been blogging this week because I've been trying to be good and get things done around the house and pay extra attention to the kids and take care of some business things during nap time and try not to "waste" time on the computer so I find other things to do that aren't mopping... but again, I won't.

What I will do is jump right into what I have to share with you! Projects! Or project as the case may be.

Here it is... my first official finished project since beginning this renewed hobby of sewing/quilting. (ok... so the dress I made Sweet Pea count too I guess.)

So let me tell you about it...

First off... it's small.

Yep. Smaller than I was thinking actually. But small is ok with me for a couple reasons:

1. I wanted it to be short enough that I wouldn't have to move it when we sat down to eat, as our messiest eater (Sweet Pea) sits at the end of the table. Won't be a problem!

2. Pink is not really my decor... I've made this with Sweet Pea's birthday decorations in mind. So... when we're done using it for that day, I'm planning to tuck it away for a future day when she has her own (pink) room so it can go on the dresser or something.

3. It will make a lovely table runner for a kid sized table when tea parties become the rage around here!


Aren't these little Prairie Points adorable?!? I'm not creative enough to come up with them on my own. I've been spending time over at Pleasant Home lately, just drooling over her cleverness! We don't celebrate Halloween here, but I had to try this!

And my first attempt looks pretty good, doesn't it?


Until you see this!

Yep, it's gimpy... on All. Four. Corners.

I decided not to tear it ALL out to try to fix and redo... especially since it's deliberately a first project for learning and practicing.

You also can't see all the (many) mistakes in the quilting. (I took pictures, but they just weren't showing it all that well.) I've never machine quilted before last week... and this is the first thing I wasn't planning to immediately throw away that I've ever tried a free motion foot on. I chose to stipple it because that is how I intend to do Tornado's quilt once I have enough practice on smaller/simpler projects.

Not only did I cross lines (a big no no in stippling) several times, but the stitch length variations leave something (big) to be desired. Then there is the several areas where the tension issues show that I quite clearly have some work to do in matching the speed of my hands with the pressure on my foot pedal.

All in all, though, I'm thrilled with this first little project. I knew the above issues would be there and that is exactly the reason for some of these early projects. I'm getting my feet wet, if you were.

I also got a good start on the birthday banner I'm planning to make for SPs birthday. No pics to share though... sorry. I need a couple things for it, and they are on sale this weekend, so I'll be working on it more.


Oh, and I bought more fabric. We made our way (far our of our way) to a quilting shop to pick up something I needed and they were having a sale!

I didn't have a plan for it when I bought it... but I think I do now. Some of it anyway. I've never bought fabric anywhere but Joanns... this is the nicest feeling fabric I've ever touched! That may include clothes too. I'm afraid to cut it, but I can't wait to sew on it either!


How about you??? Do you have anything on the table??? (I say on the table because that's where I do my sewing... on our kitchen table. Your "table" could be in your craft room, in your lap, or anywhere else.) Are you working on any little projects? I'd love to know about it... and if you have posted on it, leave me a link so I can check out!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At February 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! This is going to be sooo fun! You are doing super!!!

 
At February 17, 2011 at 11:03 PM , Blogger Jessica Heights said...

That is SO cute!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home