This Page

has been moved to new address

Priorities: The Good Part

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Priorities: The Good Part

Monday, March 21, 2011

Priorities: The Good Part

We've met Suzy, and talked about Whom we do it all for, what a homemaker really is all about, and determined to do our husbands good, not harm!... but where is the real stuff? Where is the practical... the how to? When are we going to talk about what we really need to talk about to find change?

I have two answers for that. First, we already are. If we jump right in to cooking lessons (still to come) and the "how tos" of cleaning the toilet (among other things) without first finding our true motivation, we're eventually going to leave that toilet brush in it's holder. Who wants to touch that yuck after all? So go back and read (or re-read... I've done it and I wrote them!) those early posts... it'll do you a world of good to get things started on the right foot!

My second answer... soon! In fact, I had every intention of kicking off the home management and cleaning portions of "Suzy meets P31" this week... today. But, it's occurred to me that "one [post] is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:42 KJV)

Have you met Martha? Mary? They were followers of Jesus... friends. They loved him dearly, followed him, ministered to him. On at least one occasion, they welcomed Jesus into their home. Actually, it says that "a woman named Martha opened her home to him." (Luke 10:38) First of all... can you imagine??? What an honor! The Lord of heaven and earth a guest in her home. What must that have been like? I can only imagine she wanted everything to be perfect, wouldn't you? (Rabbit trail: are you aware that Jesus tells us that "whatever [we do] for one of the least of these... [we do] for him"? [Matthew 25:40] Remember that the next time... every time... you have the opportunity to serve your sweet family in some way!)

But before long, the joy of serving Jesus became a burden of making everything just right. She began to grumble in her heart (it doesn't actually say that, but don't we usually grumble in our hearts before we ever utter a complaint aloud?) Scripture says "Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made". She actually complained to Jesus that her sister, who was sitting at His feet listening to Him, wasn't helping her. And Jesus answered her, "“Martha, Martha... you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Aren't we so often a Martha in our own homes? (If we're going to be either of them that is.) I struggle enough with discipline in this area, but add to that trying to build a routine and get a grip on my household... forget it!

If I succeed in becoming Suzy Homemaker, yet don't grab that Proverbs 31 part... one thing will be needful!

If I master routines, discipline myself in the art of homemaking, become a gourmet chef, yet fail to spend daily time in the presence of my King, I've missed "that good part." (KJV)

But ugh! It's so hard! I have three littles, 4 years old and younger... with at least one early riser. I'm trying to get to bed earlier, but still... it's hard! So here's what I do (when I do it... I'm still working on this one)...

On the mornings/days I don't make it up or take the time to be with my Lord before the kids are up, we simply take time together. This morning, for instance (since I actually did it today... woo hoo), after the breakfast dishes were done and the kitchen was looking ok, I announced it was "Bible time" and everyone was to get their Bibles so Mommy could read hers. We've done this before, so it wasn't completely foreign... though it's been a while. I reminded them that they needed to look at their "Bibles" (Bible storybooks) while I read mine and pray. Then when I am done, we'd read together. It takes lots of reminders (with my newly 3 year old especially), but hopefully they'll eventually get it. It gives me time to spend in the Word, demonstrates my time in the Word and prayer to my children, and starts them in a time of their own. It works for me!


Now... your turn! This week, take a look at the time you spend (or don't spend) in the presence of the King, reading His Word, in prayer. Does something need to change? Do you need to/can you get up a little earlier? Is there a nap time (theirs, not yours) that would work? Or can you build in a family "quiet" time to get "alone" with your Savior? Maybe you don't have kids yet and just need to discipline yourself to stop, stop
"...[worrying] and [being] upset about many things" and simply "...[choose] that good part".

We'll touch base Friday where I'll share how I did this week... and you'll have a chance to report in too!

I'm joining in with...





Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Tracy said...

Try to get o bed earlier! That's a nice thought. :) Thanks for sharing.

 
At March 24, 2011 at 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you pray out loud when you do this?

 
At March 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

That's a great question "Anonymous"!

Usually I'll pray quietly to myself during this time, but then I like to include the kids in prayer together as well. This allows for time "alone" with God, as well as a chance for my children to learn and participate in it.

 
At March 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM , Anonymous Craig said...

I am here from Ann’s. I know it’s Sunday, but I read the Grateful lists until Saturday with the weekends left for Walk with Him Wednesday. And so, here I am

First – Suzi meets Proverbs 31 is an awesome matchup. I wonder who will win:)

And oh, the tyranny of the urgent, when, as you put it, “the joy of serving Jesus became a burden of making everything just right.” takes over – and we get Martha – ish.

I’m not a Suzy – or a Proverbs 31 woman – just a guy – but His guy. I’m serving him now, loving his way, writing for him, studying and reflecting and the work is hard – but I don’t think there’s better work. In case I dopn’t make it back on Friday – I don’t think this week will be different. Right now it’s on “staying the course” for me. The course is good right now. This was so good. Thank you.

God Bless and keep you
May His face shine upon you…
and all of yours.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home