This Page

has been moved to new address

Being content behind closed doors

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Being content behind closed doors

Monday, May 9, 2011

Being content behind closed doors


Yesterday I mentioned we put an offer on a house. I didn't tell you it came with 4.9 acres, a horse barn, a couple of out buildings, room for chickens and goats and lots of growing space. I didn't tell you that much of it was recently re-done and that we loved the look of the old log build.

This morning we learned that our offer was presented to the bank with another... and they were offering cash. That was the biggest thing we could come against. We would never win against cash. (Though we wish we could offer cash for a house... we just can't yet.) We didn't get it.

Was I disappointed? Yes... and if I let myself think about it, I still am. And I'll be honest, it took a couple hours to work through everything and look (in appearance and action and attitude) on the outside the way I knew I should feel on the inside.

We knew going in that we weren't assured this house. We've been doing all our talking and dreaming about this place knowing that it was all hypothetical. There was always a "if we get it" attached to every idea mentioned... even if it was just in my head. Still, when I heard our realtor's voice on the line today, my heart sank a little... there just wasn't any excitement in it.

But as I began working through the disappointment, I did so by focusing on what we've been given in this and not what we've lost. I began a mental list of all the blessings we've been given behind this closed door.

They're always there... behind each closed door. The blessings!

1. We ask Him to guide us... He did, and we aren't left to wonder about anything.

2. This was going to be tight on us financially... we can now buckle down into more intense saving without the stress of penny to penny living (at least not yet).

3. We probably won't have to cancel our trip to see family in Michigan later this summer (like we were thinking we'd have to do).

4. We'll have air conditioning all summer! We wouldn't have had it at this place.

5. We know something *better* is coming. (Romans 8:28)



The list goes on as I'm continually thinking of "silver linings" to this closed door.

Could I come up with a longer list of reasons to be disappointed and sad? Maybe. But the path to contentment behind closed doors is to focus on what God is giving now... not what he may give later or has chosen not to give.

Focus on Him... what He is giving you now. Joy abounds behind those doors when you do! That works for me!


This week I'll be linking up with...

Raising Homemakers



Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At May 10, 2011 at 1:25 AM , Blogger Sarah @ In Pleasant Places said...

Thank you for this post. I love reading your blog. I find it so honest, real and truthful. It's wonderful that, though I don't know you, you are my sister in Christ and we can share and care for each others burdens. I know God has the right homestead for you.

 
At May 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Sarah @ In Pleasant Places said...

Thanks for your comment! I didn't realise you knew me :) I check out your blog everyday and always enjoy it. Hope you're feeling better than a few weeks ago. Life is continually moving up and down!

 
At May 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Julianne said...

that was a good reminder to always trust in God for the things that come our way.
I'm sure that something better will be in the future for you, then you'll look back and think, "boy am I glad that other house didn't go through".
:)

 
At May 10, 2011 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

I know your disappointment. We house hunted for 2 years and the emotional journey was tough. Praying that He guides your hand and leads you to the best place.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Tracey said...

What a blessing you discovered - and shared with me! - in deciding to count your blessings in what could have been viewed as a negative situation. Trusting that God will lead you to just the right house in His time!

Have a nice day!

 
At May 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Kris said...

YES! It's hard sometimes to accept God's "no" as a yes, but it is! And when the timing is right, he will provide something better, something he has set aside just for your family and it will be his best for you. This was encouraging to read, and I pray you are encouraged through the disappointment. God is good, all the time!! :-)

 
At May 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Blogger SparingChange said...

Great post. I appreciate your honesty and insight.

 
At May 12, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Anonymous Christina said...

"But the path to contentment behind closed doors is to focus on what God is giving now... not what he may give later or has chosen not to give." Love this. So important to remember. Thanks for sharing!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Anonymous 'Becca said...

Great point! I had almost this experience (lost a place I thought I would live, but for different reasons) several different times in the phase of my life when I moved a lot. The funny thing is that it ALWAYS worked out for the best or at least the just-as-good. There's only one of those places that I still feel even a touch wistful about; all the others, I feel I dodged a bullet!

It's a similar phenomenon with my only child being a boy and coming to us later than I'd hoped. From early childhood, I "planned" to have two girls and have one of them be 30 years younger than I am, as I am 30 years younger than my parents. Well, of course I always knew we can't really plan these things, but I felt confident that it would work out. Then we had trouble conceiving and didn't succeed until just before I turned 31--but before the test came up positive, I knew I was pregnant and knew the timing was perfect! I still hoped for a girl, but by the time my baby boy was 3 hours old I understood that he is the exact child I am meant to have and his gender almost doesn't matter. As he gets older (6 now) I keep realizing more ways it is great for me to have a son.

So much for planning! It's great how God brings us what we truly need. I'm sure the right house for you will come along soon. May God comfort you through the uncertainty.

 
At May 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Blogger JoyFilled said...

Great post. So true. I am dealing with some very similar stuff in my own life now and I certainly needed this reminder!!!

Following you from Raising Homemakers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home