This Page

has been moved to new address

Living Books for Christmas or What we're reading this month!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Living Books for Christmas or What we're reading this month!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Living Books for Christmas or What we're reading this month!

Much like my desire to read living books with my children for Thanksgiving, I desired to bring in living books for Christmas too.  This isn't to say that we're not reading some just for fun books as well, but I wanted to enrich our reading time.  And to avoid twaddle all together!

So what are we reading???   
 

Mary's First Christmas 
This delightful story recounts the Christmas story as told by Mary to her five year old Jesus!  Precious.  It's written in in four chapters that we usually spread out over four different nights.  Kids love it!

Jacob's Gift
The nativity story related from the perspective of a young carpenter apprentice in Bethlehem.  Obviously fictional, but a fun way to see the Christmas story from a different perspective.  Also a great lesson in sacrifice.

The Crippled Lamb
Another sweet fictional retelling of the night Jesus was born, this time from the perspective of a little lame lamb.  This story reminds our children that we are just as God created us... and that God always has a purpose.

The Gift of the Magi
An old favorite from my childhood.  This story tells of a sweet couple and the sacrifices they make to give to each other one Christmas.

Humphrey's First Christmas
This one is mostly just fun.  My daughter calls it the complaining book (which isn't my favorite) and asks to hear it read constantly!  The story is of a whinny camel on his way to Bethlehem in a caravan.  He's lost his beloved blanket and whines and fusses the whole time because of it and the three ("huge") packages he is required to carry.  A great opportunity to discuss what the Bible says about complaining... not to mention the silliness of Humphrey's complaints!  His heart is changed, however, when he see's the baby and feels compelled to give the only gift he can.  Again, fictional, but a fun story none the less.

An Orange for Frankie
Set in times past, as his family prepares for Christmas, Frankie learns what it means to give selflessly and what it is to be part of a family.  I love the look at what Christmas was like when the most exciting part was a simple orange on Christmas eve!  What a difference from what our children know now.

The Legend of the Candy Cane
I'm never sure about the accuracy of the "legend" books, but I enjoyed sharing one more way we can remember Jesus in the Christmas celebration!

The Legend of the Christmas Tree
We read this one last year, and just like it's Candy Cane cousin, it is a sweet way to think of the tradition of the Christmas trees we bring into our home.

The Legend of the Christmas Stocking
We haven't read this one yet, though it is here from the library and waiting it's turn.  I'm let you know more when I know it! :)

The Legend of St. Nick
We haven't even seen this one yet (I'm on the waiting list from the library... hopefully it will make it), but I'm hoping it will recount an accurate story of how this legend started.  We just explained who "Santa" is this year for the first time and I'd love a clear story of how it all started in a picture book format!  Anyone know?

Apple Tree Christmas
Though no reference is made to Christ in this book, it is a lovely view into the home of one family's Christmas in the late 1800s.

The Gift of the Christmas Cookie
This sweet story is set during the Great Depression (a great lesson on what it might have been like back then.)  Again, we haven't read this one yet... I'll update with more when we have!

An Early American Christmas
Another great story set long ago, this time in the beginning of the 1800s.  This story shares how a German family brings the traditions of Christmas from the "old country" to New England where they are the only ones who celebrate at all.  A nice look at early American traditions!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At December 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks! I found a few we haven't read yet. Have you seen my list? I am not a fan of twaddle either so I'm only including "goodies." :-)

http://from-my-life.blogspot.com/p/christmas-book-list.html

 
At February 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Carol Heyer said...

I just wanted to say how wonderful it was to see that my picture book HUMPHREY'S FIRST CHRISTMAS was on your reading list!!! I'm so glad that you liked it. You can check out Humphrey's trailer on my website, http://www.carolheyer.com. He has his own page. Also, the sequel is coming out this spring, HUMPHREY'S FIRST PALM SUNDAY. I hope you get a chance to check it out!
Thanks again,Carol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home