This Page

has been moved to new address

Pride and Submissiveness

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Pride and Submissiveness

Friday, November 30, 2007

Pride and Submissiveness

Still this morning the ugly scene of last nights shopping trip is running through my mind. I was actually fighting my husband for the shopping cart. In slow motion I could see myself doing it, but not with enough time to stop it. Before the event was even completed I knew my sin and was asking forgiveness of my husband. But what started it? Why did it happen in the first place? Allow me to paint the ugly picture for you.

Background… I am a sinner… a saved sinner, but a sinner all the same. And one of my particular sins of struggle? Pride! It has taken me a long time to really see this because my pride does not manifest itself the way I always expected pride to manifest itself in a person’s life. When I think of a proud person, I picture someone “puffing himself up” in the sight of others. I think of telling others how great you are, or deliberately doing things to catch attention for yourself. While it is possible I may do this from time to time, this is not the kind of pride I experience on a daily basis. In my life pride manifests itself through fear of man, or, as in last nights ugly display, an “I’m not doing anything wrong”/ “Don’t try to control me” attitude. (Yeah… I told you it was ugly!)

So we were doing our weekly (usually Monday night) grocery shopping and I tend (apparently) to stop in the middle of everything, therefore getting in the way. At this particular place of stopping, I evidentially didn’t think I was in the way, and when my sweet husband began to move the cart (with the baby in it I may add ~ hey… why hide any of the details now?) I fought him (literally trying to pull it away from him and put it where I wanted it) for control of the cart (or buggie, or basket ~ whatever you call it). Like I said, I could see myself doing it and I was disgusted… yet somehow still unable to stop myself.

So why am I sharing this embarrassing story with you? While I was laying awake in bed last night, in part dwelling on this unfortunate event and in part formulating this post in my head, I was thinking of how pride is a destroyer of a submissive spirit! Really it is a destroyer of so many things. I was reading in my Bible study time this morning (from Beth Moore’s Living Free) how pride is still Satan’s main weapon in the lives of both believers and unbelievers alike! Truly it robs us of more than laziness does.

Back on topic, how can I be submissive to my husband, humbling myself and placing myself beneath his headship if I let pride rule in my heart? Short answer??? I can’t! This is a major issue!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home