This Page

has been moved to new address

Stocking My Freezer with this White Sauce Enchilada Recipe

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Stocking My Freezer with this White Sauce Enchilada Recipe

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Stocking My Freezer with this White Sauce Enchilada Recipe

Yesterday I finally got to the Enchiladas I've been meaning to make for my freezer. They were supposed to be Monday nights dinner (with a second batch going into the freezer), but alas, I discovered my favorite ingredient ~ the green chilis ~ was missing from my pantry, so we did a fake it dinner instead! :)


This is one of our favorite meals though, so I thought I would share the recipe! I got it from friends of ours and made some modifications... thanks guys!


Step 1: Gather ingredients
  • 3 large breasts chicken (cooked and cut into bite sized pieces)
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup (we use the Campbell's Healthy Choice to avoid bad ingredients)
  • 12 oz. Sour Cream (she uses fat free, but we don't... I also sometimes throw in an entire 16 oz container of this to spread the filling a little further)
  • 1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese ~ shredded (as you can see, we usually use the Mexican Four Cheese shredded blend in stead... yummy!)
  • 4 oz can diced green chilies (this adds a great zing without making it spicy. If it's spice you are looking for, go for diced jalapenos instead... we did this once when we bought the wrong thing. DH loved it, but it was too hot for me.)
  • 10 tortillas (though when I split it up into 2 smaller pans, I spread it out over 12 tortillas... 10 works for the 9x13 pan though) (Oh, and we really like to use wheat tortillas, or spinach or sun dried tomatoes... adds nutrients and more fun flavors!)
  • 1/2 cup cheese for top
Step 2: You can probably omit this one if you are able to keep your sour cream from freezing in the back of your refrigerator... this stuff was pretty solid... it slowed progress down significantly! :)

Step 3: Combine all ingredients (except the tortillas of course) in a large bowl! (It looks goopy, but it is soooo yummy!)

Step 4: Fill tortillas. (You won't want to fill them too full, but don't skimp either!)

Step 5: Roll filling...
...and arrange in a 9x13 pan (Since it's just DH and I, and now a 14 month old, we usually split the recipe up into 2 8x8 pans and freeze one... otherwise there is tons of left overs! This time we did it on purpose because I want them in the freezer for when our little girl is born next month!)


Step 6: Spread remaining "filling" over top of tortilla rolls. ~ YUM! This helps make it gooey!


Step 7: Sprinkle cheese on top... I used the rest of the 2 cup bag of cheese we started with!

Step 8: For freezing, I covered it up, wrote the directions and date on top and stuck it in the freezer. For the pan I did in my stone, I lined the bottom with foil so that I can pop it out and wrap it up after it's frozen (then I can continue using my stone between now and eating it.) When we're ready to cook it, I'll just pop it back into the stone, let it thaw, and bake!

If you are eating it... now is when it goes in the pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until bubby and browned. You can cover it or not. If you cover it though, uncover it for the last 5 ish minutes to let the top cheese get melty!


Our friend Angela (who gave me the recipe) makes a great presentation with this recipe. She suggests laying down a bed of shredded iceburg lettuce, placing the enchilada on top and sprinkling more cheese and tomato, etc. on top. Have sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, etc. on the table and serve with chips.


DH and I usually do it simple... just the enchiladas... we don't even find that it needs any toppings!


Enjoy!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

Yummy! And easy! I will have to try this recipe. Thanks! (But I don't have any room left in my freezer!)

 
At February 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Marva said...

This sounds wonderful!!! i will add this to my try collection. We love Mexican food! Yumo!! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home