This Page

has been moved to new address

From God's Word: A Mother's Study

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: From God's Word: A Mother's Study

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

From God's Word: A Mother's Study


Sunday morning I kept Tornado with me in church. He was still coughing and I wasn't ready to put him in the nursery again. Having him with me, though, showed me a number of things we need to be working on with him.

In the last week or so My Beloved and I have been realizing that we need to take a harder line stand in the discipline of our children. We have said from the beginning that disciplining our children is something we feel very strongly about, but now that it is here, I see how very difficult it is. It is time consuming and tiring, but mostly, I am seeing that every thought and belief I've had about child discipline and training until now was lacking.

I've begun a search through Scripture for everything God has to say to me as a mother. I feel as though I'm in a desperate place. For the sake of my little ones, I need to be clinging to God for knowledge and wisdom in every action. I know that I have been half hearted in so many things and I praise the Lord for bringing me to this place! Just this morning I opened Proverbs in search of a verse. Whether or not I found the one I was looking for I don't know, but I found a couple to chew on and apply today.

Proverbs 15:1 ~ "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
Oh how this reminds me to have a soft answer and soft words for my boy. He can be very frustrating and it can be easy for my voice to escalate and grow more harsh as he continues to disobey. In disciplining my children, I want nothing more than for them to see and hear the love behind it. I at least want it to be something God hears and sees.

Proverbs 15:4 ~ "A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit."
It is so easy (especially as each day grows long) for me to become more and more perverse in my attitude (my favorite definition for perverse is crankiness.) I will strive to remember that it is a gentle tongue that will train my little ones best. Disciplining them in frustration or even anger will break their spirit, not their will.


I will continue through this study as long as I feel the Lord leading. I hope to bring some of what I learn here to share with you!


Do you have any thoughts or encouragement on this??? I'd love to hear it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home