This Page

has been moved to new address

Homeschooling Preschool: Week 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Homeschooling Preschool: Week 2

Monday, January 25, 2010

Homeschooling Preschool: Week 2

Sweet Pea drawing with us at the table during "school time"

Ok, so I stretched week 2 across 2 weeks. Sickness and lack of preparation won out and it happened. Actually, my big plan when I dropped the ball the week it was scheduled was to double up the next week and actually get week 3 done too, but then I got sick... and it was just too much!

So, we are rearranging some things mentally. And I may not finish this week either because I'm still waiting for a couple library books to arrive at my library. Who knew there would be such a learning curve on this homeschooling organization thing. (Anyone?)

I'm trying not to stress out about it though. It is kinda a big deal because we're sorta on a tight schedule. My abridged 28 week plan is already a tight fit before baby comes. If we have anymore set backs though, I'm pitching the squeezed in abridged version and just doing what we can when we can. If we have to do the last 3 or 4 (or 8) letters of the alphabet after a "baby was born" break, then so be it!


So... what did we do? We learned about the second half of Creation week. We learned numbers 4-6 (what they look like anyway, he already counts past that), several colors (which he already knows anyway), talked about "God created" all over the place (i.e. the yellow sun pictured above), did some crafty papers (again, reference sun above) to help drive home the ideas, and generally enjoyed ourselves. Sweet Pea pretty much loves "calendar time". I bought one of those big bulletin board preschool calendars last year (though we'll see if I'm sorry I went to all that work and expense in lieu of other options I didn't know about at the time, but it's cute). Of course, she's not even 2 yet, so she just likes velcro-ing numbers on the board. Someday I'll finish setting it all up and we'll start talking about weather during this time too, but for now we don't.

Being sick, I didn't worry much if I didn't have everything it called for and only did the things we did have. Tornado enjoyed it. I love when he tells Daddy everything we did at the end of the day. It tells me he likes it. Both kids ask to "do school". **smile**

We start the "regular" routine with a letter a week and such this week (as soon as I get my books). We'll be learning about the Fall, focusing on obedience and what rules are, and learning a lot about fruit trees and, specifically, apples. A is for "Apple" after all. Have I mentioned how this lady has come up with something for each letter that correlates with the Bible story taught that week? Amazing! Have I mentioned how much I love that???

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

You know it is really hard to find a balance between organization and rigidity. At least it is hard for me. I want to be a good steward of our time and be organized, but often I think my scheduling can get in the way of the fun and spontaneity of learning. Especially when my kids are young, so much learning can be done naturally and without the rush of "I need to do this because I planned it!" Always a struggle, I guess.

I'm really interested in the twaddle-free book list you found. Is it online? And what chapter books are you starting with? I'm always looking for more material. :-)

 
At January 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome attitude sweetheart!!! Keep pluggin' away and you will get there. Wish I could be a fly-on-the-wall. Have fun!!!

Love ya--Mom

 
At January 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the Creation lessons - I plan to spend some time going through them to decide what to use for my 2 1/2 year old!

 
At January 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Susan Lemons said...

Check out my blog for more homepreschool ideas!
Blessings,
Susan Lemons
www.susanlemons.wordpress.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home