This Page

has been moved to new address

Preschool Corner: "Nothing in Particular"

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Preschool Corner: "Nothing in Particular"

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Preschool Corner: "Nothing in Particular"


This was a very non-school kinda week. I planned nothing and we did nothing planned. And on that note, I thought it would be a great week to start joining Preschool Corner... right?

Let's just say, like my first Tot School post, it's more of an introduction for those of you who aren't already checking over at these couple of blogs. Preschool Corner is a place I can share what I'm doing specifically with Tornado my 3 year old preschooler... just like Tot School is a chance to share and do things deliberately with Sweet Pea.

There, I've introduced it!

Before I get to what we DID do this week, I do want to assure you that I have actual plans for next week! That's right... resources gathered, things printed, and a theme to work with! I mentioned that I would be thinking through and changing things a bit, and I have. I've made some changes and am going in some new directions. I am leaving much of the Hubbard's Cupboard curriculum behind for now, though I'm still using elements of it and have really enjoyed the time we used it through the winter/spring. It is a great resource, but as we move ahead in the direction the Lord has been leading us, I will be using it more as a resource and less as a curriculum. (Does that make sense???)

With next week welcoming June, I'm figuring that it's the start of actual summer and therefore have a slew of summer plans! Come back next week to hear all we've done!

And now for the part of the post that has pictures... what we HAVE been doing this week (eh, perhaps couple of weeks) while we weren't doing anything in particular!

We spent some time talking about place setting and setting the table. Tornado liked using the fancy glass and big plate. I did it with him the first time. Then he wanted to do it again and I let him try but guided him. He wanted to do it again, so I moved it all away and asked him where each thing went.

I decided we wouldn't be doing this Number Bingo game again for a while, but the next day Tornado was asking to play the "button game", so we brought it out and he really enjoyed it. We did it a couple times in the time before lunch.

After lunch that same day, I taught both of them how to wipe the table. They enjoyed that and I enjoyed that someday it can just be their job. :)
Tornado enjoys this memory game, but I don't bring it out very often (I should, I know).

We learned about shadows last week (part of the "light of the world" lesson from Hubbard's Cupboard). He also worked on memorizing Matthew 5:16. We're still working on that one, but he can do it with me and loves talking about light. He picked up the concept right away from reading What Makes a Shadow by Clyde Robert Bulla.

(We also talked about the wise man and foolish man and their houses... this worked well with a couple other books listed below!

We brought home some of nature's treasures as part of our walk too! Tornado usually sits in back of our stroller, but he wanted Sweet Pea's spot and she wanted his. So I went with it!


While Sweet Pea and I work working on "up" and "down" over the train track bridge, Tornado was working on some things of his own.

And this is the result. He did it over and over and thought it was great.

Before it went this far though, we had made a "1" and a "2" out of the tracks... then we combined them (which meant they didn't look like themselves anymore, but oh well). Then this started! :)

And after all was cleaned up, we stacked some blocks! This is always a good opportunity to work on sharing and selflessness and not knocking down your brother's/sister's tower.

While we were playing with play-do today (another thing I hate to bring out, but it really wasn't bad) we talked some about shapes. I introduced the concept of the "sphere" and "cube". It was in passing and while he was doing his own thing, but I mentioned it! :) Now he's at least heard the words once.

Also not planned in the least was this workbook. I don't usually do workbooks with him, but he does enjoy them from time to time. He loved that it was Elmo. He did 4 pages before I decided we were done. He probably would have done a couple more, but I'd rather quit while we're ahead and he's still interested than to quit because he's bored with it.

We moved into the living room after our table time was over and he wanted to play "wooden logs". I don't particularly enjoy this either (hmmm... I'm sensing a theme I should work on), but figured it was as good a time as any. Really, it wasn't bad. He can't build it himself, but enjoys the process. He always wants a window (or he might be able to do it himself soon), so we put one in. Once I helped him start the roof, though, he was able to do it mostly on his own. And thanks to his sister, he had ample opportunity to practice putting the roof together again and again and again. I'd say he's a pro at it now and was doing it all by himself by the end. While he was playing with it, I separated out the remainder of the pieces and put away a good number of them so it's not such a burden in the future. We may plan with this one more often now.

Well... that's not everything, but it's everything I have pics of. Head on over to Preschool Corner to see what real preschooling moms are up to!


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At May 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Welcome to Preschool Corner. Tornado had a great week between playing and learning. I can't wait to see what you will do next week.

 
At May 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Whiteboard Workshop said...

What a great week. Visiting from preschool corner.

 
At May 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

What a fun week, playing and learning! Love the Lincoln Logs! Welcome to Preschool Corner!

 
At May 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

I'd say you are a real preschool mom. At that age they learn so, so much from real life and simple play. Fun stuff!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home