This Page

has been moved to new address

Preschool Corner: Doing what we can

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Preschool Corner: Doing what we can

Friday, July 16, 2010

Preschool Corner: Doing what we can

~Tornado is 3 years, 7 months old~
~Mommy is 37 weeks pregnant~
preschool corner

As I hit 35, then 36, and now 37 weeks pregnant, it's become harder and harder for us to get anything "grand" and "fabulous" accomplished in the area of schooling. I'm okay with this... I've decided. I had put together a fun unit on spiders (which was last week's theme), but when it came down to it, we didn't do much. About half the library books we requested were ready when I could pick them up, so that's all we got.

Since we hadn't done any of my "lesson plans" (crafts and coloring sheets and such) by the end of the week, I decided to extend spiders into this week. A noble idea I thought... plus, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to do anything else. Still, we haven't done any other theme things. Maybe someday we'll do the plans I made. Until then, we've enjoyed the spider books we have from the library.


This one's Mommy's.

Aside from our plans, however, I did get to add a new activity to my arsenal. We returned a couple things to Target without a receipt a week or so back and had $30 something to spend on something. We found sheets for the kids new beds (once they are done) and let them pick their favorite, and we found a couple dollar day items. All in all, we had just a couple dollars left, so I picked up a pack of pony beads from the craft aisle.

I started out letting Tornado do whatever he wanted with the beads on the "fuzzy sticks" (anyone else still call them pipe cleaners??? It's so hard to change over!)

He really enjoyed this.

Sweet Pea had fun with it too. She threaded them on the sticks for a while, but then just enjoyed moving them from one section of her plate to the other.

Then when she was seeming done, I let her put them in the bag (little clean up trick I suppose!)

Then Tornado and I talked about patterns again. A couple times I'd see he didn't have it quite right and suggest that he check his work. He'd catch the problem and ("uh oh") pull them off to do it again. He really wanted to do the whole length!

Then we sorted out two colors from the rest.
And I introduced "estimating" with more or less. It was a lot of beads to introduce the concept with (another day this week we did it with fewer and it worked nicely!), but we grouped them together and I asked him to guess which color there were more of. He made his guess and then we counted them up. We did it with two new colors when we were done... his idea.

I don't really have official plans for the next couple weeks. I'm slowing down a bit these days and will probably focus more on this sort of thing when I have the energy and time. I do have some plans for when baby comes (and there is someone else here to help with it) though, so I'll be sharing that as I am able... assuming I am able! :)

Stop over to see other Preschool Corner posts!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At July 16, 2010 at 8:18 PM , Anonymous Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

Wow, congratulations on pregnancy number three! I'm sending best wishes for a comfortable last few weeks, a peaceful delivery, healthy baby, and speedy recovery!!

 
At July 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I never thought to do patterns with pipe cleaners, great idea! And yes, i still call them pipe cleaners, haha.

 
At July 19, 2010 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Yes I felt the same way with all my pregnancies...I have 4 boys 8,7,3,2 yrs old) and they are a hand full but life is fun :) Thanks for the neat idea with pipe cleaners and beads...soon you will have this baby you will not remember how life was like with just 2...God Bless

 
At July 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Don't you just LOVE Target? That's our favorite place to go. Sometimes, when we're bored, we'll load up and head to Target to just browse! My little monkey always wants to go.
Never thought about sequencing with beads and "pipe cleaners" (yeah, I call them that).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home