This Page

has been moved to new address

Belle's Birthstory ~ Part 4

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Belle's Birthstory ~ Part 4

Friday, May 4, 2012

Belle's Birthstory ~ Part 4

Miss parts 1, 2, or 3?

My midwife had stepped out to the bathroom quickly before it was time to start.  It was while she was gone that I felt the urge to push.  But I was nervous to do so.  I wasn't sure like I was when Little Man was born.  I breathed through that contraction, urging my nurse, now Bethany, that we needed Barb (the midwife) fast!  Sensing my urgency after I said something the second time, she headed out to find her.  As she stepped around the curtain, and out the door, Barb came around the other side. 

She checked me again and I was ready.  I pushed with the next contraction.  I struggled, tired, to do the best I knew I could do.  I needed to roll over, assume "the position."  Time was short as another contraction was upon me.  My sweet husband was holding the freshly rinsed out basin in case I should need it again, but I wanted -- needed -- him to support my let.  Poor guy!  For lack of words, I grabbed it from him and threw it over his shoulder.  I guess I was feeling a bit desperate.

I pushed through one, maybe two more contractions, and she was here.  They laid her on me, skin to skin, while drying her with a towel and doing all those little checks they do. 

20.5 inches long
In a few minutes she was nursing, latched herself right on.  They put a little hat over her head of dark hair and tucked us in with a nice warm blanket.  All the while my midwife worked and waited to deliver the placenta, forgoing the Pitocin shot at my request.  My sweet girl just lay there in my arms nursing more than an hour before I finally let them have her to weigh and bathe.  But even all that was done right in my room.  9 pounds, 9 ounces.  20 1/2 inches long.

After getting cleaned up myself, I felt well enough to take over photographer duties... for which My Beloved was grateful.  He was tired, hungry and hurting.  His knees were sore from all the standing the last couple hours.

First bath

Once things calmed down and the nurses had left us, we had to decide on a name.  Poor guy@  After a few minutes, he didn't care any more.  We were narrowed down to two and he just said to pick one.  Of course I wanted him to be happy with the decision.  Finally it was final. (Though I would go on to second guess that decision through the night.

My Beloved headed home to an empty house with blessing from me to sleep in -- his only chance for a nice long, un-bothered night rest in a long time and fore a long time.  He would get the kids back tomorrow.

It was just me and my baby girl now.  Midnight.

Labels: ,


At May 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that you share the minute-by-minute as much as I love that your precious babies will someday know the details of their first day on earth!!!
Love you-Ma


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home