This Page

has been moved to new address

Learning for Little Ones: Songs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Learning for Little Ones: Songs

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Learning for Little Ones: Songs


Sorry this wasn't posted first thing, but My Beloved returned home last night from a 3 + day business trip and posting was far from the first thing on my mind. :) Without further adu though... here is this weeks edition of Learning for Little Ones!

I've been singing with my little boy (now 17 months old) from the very beginning. Recently though I wondered what I could do with songs and "school time". The first "pre-school" song I've introduced is Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes. I figured it would give us a good "moving" song to start with. Tornado isn't really talking yet so he doesn;t sing along (though we've got 3-5 words under our belts now), but singing this song has helped him learn new body parts. "Head", "Shoulders", and "Knees" specifically are body parts he couldn't have identified before learning the song. Over time, as we sing this several times each day, singing this song will help him with his gross motor skills too as he learns to be able to point to these body parts more quickly as we get to each part.

Try it yourself... it's great fun (and exercise for you too). After we stop doing it, Tornado often comes over and pats his (or my) head as if to say, "let's do it again!"

Are there any songs you use to teach your littles??? I'd love to know in the comments.


____________________________________
What are you doing with your little ones? Write a post on your blog and link up here. Be sure to link directly to your Learning for Little Ones post and don't forget to link back here so others can participate too. Feel free to use my little Learning for Little Ones banner at the top. Don't have a blog??? Leave your ideas in the comments section. :) I'm so looking forward to visiting your blogs and learning from all of you!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At May 8, 2008 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Irene said...

Elias loves "Head, Shoulder's, Knee's & Toes" too! In fact it gets him to smile every time, great tool in the airplane, let me tell you... First songs, "Jesus Loves Me," "O How I Love Jesus," "Away in a Manger," "Praise Him, Praise Him." Any song with clapping and stomping..."If You're Happy & You Know It," and the kids love Psalty and Veggitales music in the car...

 
At May 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Uberly Ewe said...

OH I love singing songs with my now 3 year old. We started with Twinkle, Twinke and of course the ABC's song. He did learn the body parts from the song Head, Shoulder's, Knees & Toes. There are tons of church songs that we sing too, one he loves right now is "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam", and the all time Spring Favoirte is "Popcorn Popping on the Aprocot Tree!" He loves singing that song right now with all the cherry blossoms in bloom right now.

I posted my linkie and hope that you all enjoy my web site suggestions.

 
At May 11, 2008 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Yes ! I love to sing with my children - music is such a vehicle for learning. I make up songs all the time for them.
For each of my four children, I made up a short little song that taught them to spell their name. (We call them the name songs.) They still will ask to sing those occasionally - the oldest is now 8 yrs old.
Also, when they needed to learn some Bible verses for their Master Club, I began making the verses into songs - they caught on so much more quickly and we still remember some of those tunes from over 4 yrs ago.
Anything that you ned to teach your children can be set to music. Growing up, my mom made some of our house rules into songs and yes, I still can sing them for you - word perfectly too! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home