This Page

has been moved to new address

Learning for Little Ones: Matching Colors

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Learning for Little Ones: Matching Colors

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Learning for Little Ones: Matching Colors

Welcome to Learning for Little Ones! Do you have an idea or activity you do with your little ones??? Please share it with us. I'd love it if you would write a post on it sometime in the next couple days and link up to our Mr. Linky. I would ask, though, that you include somewhere in your post a link back to this post so others can participate! Thanks!

I recently found a post on teaching colors to our littles. Instead of a “this is red, this is blue” approach, she begins by teaching her little ones to sort by color. What a brain moment for me. That sounded so much simpler than the rote method I found myself trying. For weeks after that (and still, truth be told) I tried to find something he could sort by color. It seems we don't have anything like that in our home. Crazy. I was getting a little discouraged.

Enter the puzzles my mom brought in May. At the time they were way over Tornado's head, so they got stashed for "later". After playing with a puzzle during our vacation in Michigan, I decided he may be ready for me to bring them back out. One of those puzzles has 8 music notes, all of different colors. Under each piece the puzzle looks the same, except it also includes the color written out. The word really doesn't matter at this point, but the puzzle is wonderful. Instead of sorting by color, Tornado has learned to match by color! Genius! He may not know that the one in his hand is pink, or green, or red (though I tell him with each one), but he has learned that the one he has in his hand is different than all the rest, and that it matches the space on the board of the same color.

What can you do if you don't have a puzzle? Make the matching parts yourself. A friend of ours made a matching game for her little ones several years ago... I just never put the pieces together in my head (until this very post as a matter of fact.) Color (or have your little ones do it) a different color on different pieces of paper -- as small or large as you like-- then make a matching set. Lay one set down and help your child to match them up. I may do this with Tornado too... just to reinforce the idea. In fact, the same principle can be done to teach sorting shapes, and perhaps even numbers or letters.

Has anyone done something similar??? I'm all ears!... or eyes anyway! :)

______________________________
What are you doing with your little ones? Write a post on your blog and link up here. Be sure to link directly to your Learning for Little Ones post and don't forget to link back here so others can participate too. Feel free to use my little Learning for Little Ones banner at the top. Don't have a blog??? Leave your ideas in the comments section. :) I'm so looking forward to visiting your blogs and learning from all of you!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Great idea about matching colors! Like you, I don't think we have any toys like that. We'll have to make one!

 
At October 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks for the link to my site! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home