This Page

has been moved to new address

Snow much fun!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Snow much fun!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snow much fun!

We woke up this morning to beautiful white snow (and the hair you see in this picture)... but at temperatures in the teens and the three of us still getting over colds, I wasn't too keen on going outside. Plus, Sweet Pea didn't like it so much the last time. I took an idea from Monica and brought the snow inside to us. A tub of snow and some items from my kitchen and we had ourselves 30-45 minutes of fun. The towel I put down on the floor caught most of the wayward snow and then mopped up the rest of it when we were done.

While they (though Sweet Pea didn't last long) played, I talked about what it was. Tornado said it was cold. I talked about what would happen to the snow, we practiced saying the word "melt" and we put some snow in a cup to see what would happen to it. An hour or so later, we revisited the cup and Tornado told me it was "snow water".

We concluded our "snow play" with a color sheet of snow flakes and the letter "S". We traced the "S" with is finger and talked about it (both the name and the sound). We colored together, and when all was said and done, he happily asked me to draw a goat for him to color. When he came home for lunch, My Beloved wanted to know if "goat" started with an "S".

All said... I'd say we got in some science, fine and gross motor, and letter learning! Not to mention lots of fun together!

Simple fun, simple learning... and no money necessary! (I'm sneaking into Frugal Friday... it's been a long while since I've participated... go check it out!)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At January 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Marva said...

Great job! Sounds like fun! Blessings!

 
At January 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM , Blogger valley view farm said...

Awesome! and you made it educational! We have a toddler and she doesn't enjoy being out in the snow for too long, so, next time I will bring it in.

What a wonderful idea.

 
At January 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Christy said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing - I wouldn't have thought of it on my own. I am so not a teacher, so thanks for the teaching tips. My son is 2.5 and I'm sure he would love doing all those things. Thanks!

 
At January 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Julie said...

What a great idea when it's so cold out! Thanks for sharing it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home