This Page

has been moved to new address

Saturday morning

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Saturday morning

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Saturday morning

My Saturday morning started like... well... none I can think of so far. I was in a wonderfully deep sleep. Comfortable. Warm. Dreamless, as far as I could tell. It was wonderful. Then something... what is that? Is that a noise? Talking? Yelling? Something was moving me from the depth of my sleep to the surface... back to my bed, and then beyond. Is that a toddler voice? And is it yelling?

Indeed it was. Tornado was sitting on his bed yelling at the top of his lungs (the same lungs that share a room with his sister), "Mommy, help cover." And it was 4:00 am! He yelled this at the top of his lungs over and over and over until I woke enough to comprehend the situation, and then until I could grab my robe and stumble down the hallway and into his room. I covered him up with ALL THREE of his blankets and made my way back to the warmth of my bed.

4:20 am: Repeat... "Mommy, help cover." Over and over again until I could get out of bed, grab for my robe and stumble back down the hall to his room. This time, however, he was still laying down and still covered up. Wondering at just how awake he actually was, I tucked him in, and went back to bed. Trying to find ANY comfortable position, I practically watched the time go by. Every noise and creak the house made, I heard. Then the humidifier kicked on and I could swear nothing was louder. Finally, around 4:40, I talked myself into getting back out of bed to turn it off. I was never going to be able to fall asleep with that craziness.

5:00 am: More yelling from the kids' room. "Ear hurts..." "Bottom hurts..." "Ear hurts..." I made my way back down the hall and opened the door to see what was wrong now. I talked with Tornado. Asked him which ear hurt. Kissed it. Tucked him in again. Returned to bed.

5:15 am: Repeat.

5:20 am: Repeat. I lay in bed, uncomfortable and unable to fall back to sleep.

5:40ish am: Sleep comes.

6:00 am: "Ear hurts." I toss the covers back over the bed. My Beloved makes a noise that makes me believe he knows I'm getting up... again. About this time I'm starting to suspect there may actually be something to this "ear hurts" claim. You see, I believe we had ourselves a little bit of the "boy who cries wolf" syndrome. You never can tell when there really is a "hurt" or not. Tornado has taken to saying just about anything hurts at just about any time. But after the 6th or 7th time he showed me the same ear that hurt, I began to wonder. Still, I tucked him in and headed back to bed.

6:20 am: Repeat. I said something to My Beloved upon my return this time... something about thinking Tornado's ear must actually hurt. I then cuddled back up to MB and dozed off.

7:00 am: Repeat. I brought Tornado into our room to sleep on the floor. Regular complaining of ear pain and "get up" came for the next 45 minutes until I finally gave up.

7:45 am: Potty time with Tornado.

7:50 am: Enter kitchen to work on breakfast, see mouse poop on my freshly washed dishes. The same dishes I'd spent more than an hour washing the night before. I almost gave up at this point.

I won't bore you with the crazy details of the rest of my day or weekend. Suffice it to say that Tornado had an ear infection with high fevers and a lot of ear pain. Poor kid. I was thankful to have Daddy home all three days to help, as Tornado was very fussy and needy... for Mommy.
What a cherished thing to be the one person my little ones want when they don't feel good. I just need to remember that in the thick of it sometimes.

Still I can't help but laugh at the memory of Tornado yelling out full voice at 4 in the morning, "Mommy, help cover." It was a great moment. :)

Labels: , ,


At March 19, 2009 at 4:30 AM , Blogger Pilar Stark said...

AAwww poor you.... poor him. It breaks my heart when the girls get sick :( Is he feeling better?

At March 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad he is feeling better! Jenni

At March 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

We had a wakeful night on Tuesday night and boy, is it hard to remember to die to self when you are tired and craving sleep. (Here is an excellent post on that from a blog I read:

Last night I prayed for a good night sleep for all and EVERYONE-- including the baby-- slept through the night! A rare treat!

At March 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Irene said...

There are no words...too funny and sad and I'm tired for you:)

At March 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Dani Joy said...

Wow!! I am sorry I missed this blog about your Saturday. I understand about not really knowing if they are really hurting or not. I really pray that I will know if it´s something serious or not. Sometimes I just don´t know. Praise the Lord you were there for him. He really needed you.
Don´t feel badly about not knowing right away though... It sometimes takes me a long time to realize... We made Isaiah run the mile and didn´t know he had fever till that night. He was just a little different but we thought he was having a bad attitude ( which he does have every so often.)
Hope Tornado is feeling better.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home