This Page

has been moved to new address

Learning About Natural Remedies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chasing Babies... Growing in Grace: Learning About Natural Remedies

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Learning About Natural Remedies

Jewelweed, growing naturally behind our house
the orange flowers haven't started blooming yet, it's easier
to identify when they do.


I've crossed over from learning to doing.

For a while now I've been reading about and trying to learn about how to use herbs medicinally. Without a live teacher, it's not so easy. I do lots of reading, but without putting it to use, it's hard to really learn it. Sometime in the last year or so I stumbled on this video on Simply Kristen's Blog. I don't even remember what led me there, but I was fascinated at the thought that I could make something in my food processor that would take poison ivy rashes away. Though I've never had it, my husband is immuned (at least so far) and my children have never had it; we do have several friends from church who get it quite badly every year. I took down a mental note, but haven't had the opportunity to try it in all that time (much to the discomfort to those who have suffered from the itching, I'm sure!)

Sunday morning at church, we learned that one of the youth came home from camp with poison ivy on his arm (like he does every year). I was so excited (um... not for his discomfort, but for a chance to help). I know we have jewelweed (one of the two ingredients required) growing abundantly in our backyard, so I told them about the remedy and that I'd look at it again and see if we can find the other part.


Plaintain Weed, growing in the yard
Sunday evening, I did just that. I watched the video several more times, did some research on plaintain weed (the other ingredient) and set out to my back yard to find some. Nothing. Then the strip of ground across the street... nothing. Not willing to give up, I headed in to ask My Beloved to help me identify the things I needed. In less than a minute, he found some in the same place I'd already looked. And a lot of it. Then some more. I've since found it in the back yard and in the side yard (better looking than the ones we harvested). Ok... it's everywhere!


(Please excuse the green "Pure" Aloe Gel, it's all we have at the moment.
There are plans to have a more natural version soon!)

I brought it in and followed the instructions. Before long I had this goop all ready to be used. The poor kid is supposed to get it this evening and will hopefully use it according to the directions I sent. Theoretically it should be fading to gone in the next 24 to 48 hours.


And here's the jar we delivered... looks yummy, no?

I'm looking forward to hearing how my first test subject recovers. And wouldn't it be sooo cool if God's naturally provided remedy works as well or better than the steroids they were going to resort to if it's not gone by the end of the week! I'll let you know how it goes! (But... if I don't, someone remind me!... I have a track record for breaking such promises.) :)

View this podcast for more details on use and making!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Wow! My husband gets poison ivy every summer since he works outside all day, every day doing lawn maintenance. He has at least a blister or two constantly from spring through fall. (At times, he has many blisters, but each year it improves.) None of the remedies he had tried really work so the best we can do is keep it clean and dry and not scratch! However, we've never tried a natural remedy.

 
At July 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Irene said...

Wow that is so cool! Any updates on how your patient is doing?

 
At July 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

Sadly, no updates yet... as far as I know, he doesn't even have it yet. Whether it's because they are skeptical, or because this really is the busiest week of the entire year (and I know it is for my husband and the kid's dad), they haven't been able to get it. My Beloved took it with him one more time today (in a cooler because it is supposed to stay refrigerated) in hopes of seeing the patient himself. We'll see if they ever even try it before it goes bad.

 
At July 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM , Blogger ~Babychaser~ said...

Sadly, no updates yet... as far as I know, he doesn't even have it yet. Whether it's because they are skeptical, or because this really is the busiest week of the entire year (and I know it is for my husband and the kid's dad), they haven't been able to get it. My Beloved took it with him one more time today (in a cooler because it is supposed to stay refrigerated) in hopes of seeing the patient himself. We'll see if they ever even try it before it goes bad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home